Quick and Easy Vanity Light Update

We're in the middle of a makeover of our master bathroom, and one of the many outdated fixtures we've needed to deal with is this vanity light. We're trying to do things as inexpensively as we can in here (in hopes of saving money for a more thorough overhaul a few years down the road), so we opted to keep the existing light and give it a quick update.
Here it is before: not horrendous, but it was definitely showing its age. I did kind of like the art deco-esque lines on it, though, and they fit in with the overall look we're goin for in here. First we took it down and covered up the silver with a subtle, vintage-look gold spray paint (it's Rustoleum's "champagne mist")
Then we bought Edison bulbs to replaces the round ones that were in there before. The fixtures holds eight bulbs, and Edison bulbs are not cheap! I got a little anxious to be finished and just paid whatever they were asking for individual bulbs at Home Depot, but I recommend shopping around online instead of doing it that way. I was kicking myself when I realized how much I could have saved buying the bulbs in a multi-pack online! (the best prices I found were on Amazon, but even there you need to take your time and shop around for the best deal).
And here it is now! The wall color has changed, too, of course, and the big mirror is gone (we've since replaced it with something else!) Lots of changes in here, although they're happening slowly. We're pacing ourselves ;).
I was a little conflicted about the bulbs before we got them, because they use a lot of energy and don't put out a whole lot of light in return. But this is really just a seldom used supplemental light in this bathroom; there are two other overhead light fixtures, and we only turn this one on when my husband shaves or when I put on makeup (which is rarely!), so we decided the trade off of a bit of practicality for cool looking bulbs was worth it in this case. Read more about this project and our epic master bath makeover on my blog: http://boxycolonial.com/quick-easy-vanity-light-update-plus-black-paint-reveal/

Gretchen

• Hannah V

This is awesome!

• Janet Mcranie

I have the same fixtures.....three in our master bath area. I was thinking of chalk painting them an off white using chalk paint. I have a chandelier that I also chalk painted the same. The edison bulbs would be a great look. Thx.