Atta Girl Amy
Atta Girl Amy
  • Greensboro, NC

Hide your thermostat behind old wooden doors

Why do builders put thermostats and air return vents in the most conspicuous places?
Ours is smack dab in the middle of a wall in our living room. When I hung art near it, that just drew attention to the eyesore.
Kinda like when you put too much concealer on a zit. Ick.
But I found a solution hiding out in my attic. I camouflaged the thermostat while still preserving access to it.
Find out more on my blog...
Can you guess what is behind these doors?
Hide your thermostat, but still access it.
These broken armoire doors in my attic were just the thing I needed to hide the thermostat in my living room.
Atta Girl Amy

• Atta Girl Amy

Air can still circulate around the thermostat, as these doors are simply propped against the wall. The temperatures dropped here yesterday so that we had to turn the heat on for the first time, and it seemed to work just fine. But I'll definitely be mindful of this as the temperature drops. Luckily, we don't have to contend with too many super-cold days here in NC.

• Town and Country Living

I think this is a really cute idea. I love that you added chalkboard paint and I love the mossy B. It does seem that as long as air circulates around the thermostat, which it clearly does since you only propped these doors, that everything should work properly. Love this!