Asked on Jan 11, 2015

How to redo walls and cabinets in my mobile home..

Jenn BuckBarbaraKathy
+59

I'm wanting to remove the strips that are on the walls of my mobile home and repaint the cabinets. I've attempted to redo my bathroom and had a HORRIBLE time putty-ing/sanding and painting wall after strips were removed. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but you can see the whole line of where I putty-ed even though its smooth and even with wall!! (After 2 coats of paint and primer too!!) Any help would be great!! Also what is the best and easiest way to repaint the fake wood cabinets?? Thank you!!!
  • Sharon

I repainted my cabinets, 1 coat good primer (Kilz) and 2 coats Kitchen & Bath paint (it takes more wear & tear than regular paint). Before painting, take the time to remove all doors, hinges, hardware, and either wash cabinets well & sand lightly, or wash with TSP to remove grease. I used a roller for flat surfaces and brush for edges and details. Replace hardware (or spray paint, check label for use on metal). My paint job lasted years! For the wall strips, I plan to paint over them - sorry, never tried removing. Maybe someone else has more experience. Good luck!

• Belinda Todd

An option would be textured wallpaper that is paintable. It's available at most of the home improvement box stores.

• Swan Road Designs

You might try beadboard wallpaper. It provides texture and will camouflage any imperfections on your walls. It can be painted and, if you wish, chair rail can be added to further add interest.

• Doyle Tami Harmon

I agree with Belinda on this one. I used a paintable wallpaper in my parents mobile home and it looks awesome! It really brightened things up! Make sure you have a ladder that allows you to be at eye level with the top edge of the wallpaper. Also waitiing until the paper is dry to cut edges off is very important. This wallpaper tears easily when wet. Good luck and don't forget to show us the "after" shots! Note: I did NOT remove the tacking strips before applying the paper.

• LoveLee3

@Doyle Tami Harmon I agree-that is exactly how I did mine. Some joints were so tight I didn`t even have to use filler at all. In one bedroom I even used regular wallpaper

• MaryStLouis

We have been working on ours for several years. Here are a few photos of the kitchen cabinets. The cabinet boxes are covered in fake woodgrain material that had bubbled in places. I primed the boxes and the doors with two coats of white chalk paint, then painted them in the water-based paint of my choice. Because it's a kitchen I also top coated them for additional protection. Instead of chalk paint you can use shellac or oil-based primer. I prefer chalk paint because it cleans up so easily and sands smooth. From the After photo, you can see that I didn't even attempt to remove the wall slats. Instead, I primed the walls with a coat of oil-based Kilz, then painted them with Sherwin Williams latex. I have had no issues with anything and have learned to embrace those wall slats. I may not like them much but our friends have commented that they don't even notice them since I've painted everything. They may be exaggerating, but I really think it's no big deal to have them there.

q how to redo walls and cabinets in mobile home, home improvement, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, After paintingq how to redo walls and cabinets in mobile home, home improvement, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting, Before
    • MaryStLouis

I have to honest, I'm still not a fan of the slats but we had no desire to remove and repair an entire houseful of them! It sounds like you've been hard at work on yours too. Yellow faux brick...my, my. Was that ever in style?? 😛

• Millie

I just bought an older manufactured home, and will be moving it about 85 miles. The floors in the kitchen and both baths are vinyl tile that has been grouted. Should I expect that grout to crack into a disaster, or am I worrying for nothing?

• Martii Jenkins

I caulked the seems then let them dry good. I covered the wall a little area at a time with drywall mud. While the mud was still wet I took grocery bags balled up in my hand and patted the wet drywall mud giving a textureed wall. Once the wall was dry I painted it. I love it and I get so many compliments.

• Lisa McClain

I tried removing the strips and painting walls like these in a mobile home and my advice is don't remove the strips just paper or paint with them there. There really isn't a goo way to cover them up on this kind of wall

• Opps Thereitis

i painted my living room wall. first i used killzall to cover the wall paper then painted it it looks fine and i left the strips up

• Molly

If you search for board and batten interior wall you will find amazing decors with board and batten. Problem with mobiles they should have more battens and not just hide the seams, and actual make it look like it should be there. Warm white walls with properly placed board and batten and new window moulding will look stunning. I am using the door stop part of door jams for my batten. It is just the right thickness and can come in different lengths and is fairly cheap, and you don't need to buy the door just the stop. Sometimes it's better to play along with what you have then try to hide it.

• Molly

Oh yeah your battens should be about 12 inches apart.

• Pamela P

I also painted my living room first and I removed all the strips and mudded and sanded. What a mess! For the bedrooms, I left the strips and painted over them. You really don't notice them much since they have no wallpaper pattern on them now. I also painted my cabinets. Degrease first with something like TSP then 2 coats of Kilz and then I used a high quality paint. If I had to do it over again, I would use the Kitchen & Bath paint. We also painted all our interior doors. Kilz and then white paint. I should have sanded them before Kilzing! LOL

• DEBRA MCLAUGHLIN

I TRIED TO WALLPAPER MY MOBILE HOME KITCHEN & LIVING ROOM... THE THICK WALLPAPER COVERED UP WHERE I TOOK OFF THE STRIPS.. WHEN I USED REGULAR WALLPAPER IT STAYED UP FOR A WEEK AND FELL DOWN.. WAS MOLDED.. TEARING IT OFF NOW... BUTY THE THICK IS BETTER..

• Kimberly Nicole Owen

Everyone's answers are so helpful!! Thanks everyone!!

• Cecilia Huether

I have a mobil home and have painted the walls, leaving the strips. I used paint and primer paint, just let the first coat dry well. Looks good

• Linda Kelly

We also used the textured wallpaper and have been very pleased. You still have to fill in the grooves but you don't have to worry about how they look as long as you sand them smooth.

• Victoria D

When it comes to mobile homes, I think I done it all by now and I am starting again. I replace drywall for old paneling but the 2/3 inside the walls had to be replace first they were rotten mind you my trailer is from 1975, but I have by now replace the drywall several times. My trick for doing it was to plaster all gaps real good and sand sometimes in between until it was straight someone did texture for me but truthfully I don't like and now I am trying have smooth walls again. Patience its a virtue if the walls gaps are not straight you can always shim some areas and then plaster but you need to buy the whole bucket to do it.I also use the plastic mesh tape to me the paper does not do it. I had experts look at my walls and can't believe I did it myself with no training just common sense. Also go to you- tube they have just about everything you want to know.

• Wglindner

What you need to do is use wood putty and a putty knife. You canget the putty in the strip going side ways.use little at a time until the strips you removed is filled. Then sand very little because if you sand to much it takes it out then Kitz it twice before pairing. To be able not to see it rub hand across to make sure its even with the walls.

• PattyV

I wouldn't advise messing with the strips. Mobile homes are always shifting with the wind and I think the caulking would just end of separating. Beside, I don't think you can sand enough to get the caulking as smooth as the paneling - so it will always show. My suggestion is to just put paneling up, paint and prime. In our house, we took down the paneling in most room and replaced with drywall. In the other rooms we didn't replace, I used TSP and washed down the walls, primed and painted. However, I think when I get ambitious and do the inside of some closets, I will also add light sanding - I think it just helps the paint adhere better. The same technique can be used on the cabinets.

• Frances Cannon Patton

My mobile home had beautiful paneling except for the black stripes to mark the planks. But love the color of the "wood " so I found a wood putty that blended with the "wood" colors. I filled in the stripes just enough to cover the black. Oh I wish I had a before and after pictures to show the deference it made. The paneling looks so much lighter and you can't see the stripes unless you get up close. And I took off those terrible strips and filled them in too. Oh and my mobile home is a 1979 .

• Susan Fodera

Hi..I have a 1982 SW I purchased 2 yrs ago. After 1 1/2 years I COULD NOT stand the dark grooves in the paneling, Started to feel like jail bars. Painted it all, primed with Glidden paint with primer, then painted a nice lite beige color (Glidden also) My bathrooms and kitchen had that "lovely" vinyl wallpaper. I took the strips off that separate the panels, used Gorilla tape to cover them and then used the textured wallpaper, coat of paint and all looks and feels nice and fresh. Much more modern looking.

• Eric Echevarria

How do you remove the cabinets off the walls without putting a hole in the wall??

• Kathy Bitzan

I have a few ceiling issues from removing old kitchen cabinets and not sure what to do about it. I don't notice it any more but some one else might..... I did take off a few of my strips and filled in the gap with putty and painted, I can still see it but it doesn't bother me

• Katness

I removed all my strips, baseboards and Crown. I used the widest drywall mudding tool I could find, and did a skim coat over the entire room. This left a little texture, and after using a high-end flat paint, I used to glaze that was just a shade darker then the shade on my wall to accentuate the texture only. You can use any type of paint you want, I used to flat to acheive a less formal look.

• Jen

Hi! We are in the process of refinishing all the walls in our 1974 Fleetwood, the trick is putting on a thick layer of putty all over the wall, and using drywall tape over all seems and in corners. It is time consuming and grueling work, here are some of our results

• MCB2707950

I did this in our half bath. But as the house has settled the wall where the sink is has cracked. I our bedroom I decided why not enhance the strips and add more to give it the cottage look. So we took the strips down and replaced them with thicker wider strips and made them even through out the room then we beefed up the trim around the windows.

, We took the trim around the door all the way up to the crown molding and the same around the windows, Not sure if you can see to the left of the bed the larger strips, We used the same look in the attached Master bath
  • Sandra Mock

I have painted the cabinets in all the mobile homes I have owned and they turned out great. First remove all the cabinet doors (devising a system so you remember where they go), clean cabinets fanatically, and then paint with the very best primer you can afford. Let everything dry for several days to "set" the primer, pick out your new color (I always do white) and paint slowly and carefully. Let everything dry again for several days, rehang, and I usually add new handles for a newer "look". Best done in the summer/heat so things dry faster.

• Les and Gina

go to https://www.facebook.com/Meadow-Park-Trailer-Court-150029881833543/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel there is alot of before and after photos of Les and I repairing and remodeling mobile homes.

• Barbara

You can apply a layer of lining paper in the wallpaper section of your home improvement store. The lining paper is designed to conceal imperfections in the wall and can be painted any color you chose. Its fairly economical, though for a large room, it can be time consuming. Less labor intensive than putty and probably a little less expensive. We had a triple wide mobile home before purchasing our 'brick and mortar' home and I puttied the wall in the living room to get rid of the lines, then we painted over. When it came time to do my daughter room, I used the wallpaper liner and just painted. SO MUCH EASIER! Also easier to 'update' just paint or paper!

• Sharon

Use sheetrock texture. (A LOT of it) and just do a heavy texture with trowel like you would do if you were doing sheetrock (drywall). Paint it and it looks great. Lot of work but worth it to get the look you want.

• Mary

Crystal, I was looking at Venetian Plaster techniques the other day, is the Spanish Lace similar? Do you think I can do one or the other on an interior block (painted) wall? I'm looking for something to hide the blocks without having to sheetrock. Thank!
  • Judi

Using a spackling compound along with the perforated tape made for this purpose should do a great job. Can be purchased at any home improvement store.

• Beth Currin McGarity

I caulked the gaps behind the strips first. Then I used regular drywall compound (sheetrock mud) and drywall tape to finish the seams, sanding with medium drywall sandpaper. The final step, which made all the difference in my opinion, was applying what's called a skim coat of drywall compound (google skim coat drywall) over the entire wall surface,and then sanding everything with fine sandpaper. It was pretty time consuming, but worth it to me. The walls look great, as good as finished sheetrock.

• Sharon Gillespie

how do I repair water damaged presswood cabinets in my mobile cabinets ?

• Helen Boltin

For the cabinets, make sure that they are completely clean. If there is any grease it will prevent the paint from sticking. Remove the cabinet doors and hardware. Paint with Zinsser 1-2-3 primer. This is the best stuff there is for painting slick and laminate surfaces. You may have to do two "thin" coats. I have found that it goes on best with a roller that is labeled "for smooth surfaces". I recommend ACE hardware brand because they are the ones I use the most. If you are going to be painting them white, I also recommend the ACE door and trim paint. It is extremely durable and easy to clean. I am not sure that it comes in any other colors though.

• CL DeJo

I.m curious whoy no one is just drywalling over the wall board, is it an expense issue. We are purchasing an older mobile, my plan is to drywall over all wall board, take off siding, old insulation, spray on new,replace wdws drs, sheath w 1/2 osb, Tyvek and new siding , I know that this will cost, however, warmer, sturdier, it isn't going to settle anymore, it's 25 year old.
    • Fefe

Drywall is a lot heavier. You need to ensure the frame of the mobile home can support the weight of drywall.
  • Kathy

I used 1/4 inch sheet rock over 1/4 inch foam insulation in my old trailer in Illinois
  • Barbara

you can purchase it at Home Depot or Lowes. if they don't have it in stock they can order it for you. works well.
  • Jenn Buck

Thinking of some upgrades...Anyone ever replaced outside doors with "house" doors that could be cut down to size to fit? It seems there are not many options when looking at mobile home doors. Also what about cabinet/faucet upgrades. We tried painting and I don't like it. I'd love to cover the cabinets maybe with a paneling and get some new sinks..just wanted to get your ideas. Thanks!

• Helen D Pierce

My neighbor replaced his old front door with a retro-fitted pre-hung wood exterior door, for an added-on mud room. It was a success because of the good frostline footings under the porch. Door hangs and works perfectly after several years.