Marj MRC Creations
Marj MRC Creations
  • Canada

Nightstand Transformation

$10-15

With so many inspiring photos and advice at Hometalk, I decided to transform my ugly, dark and damaged nightstand in the guest bedroom, to something more fun and creative.
Here are the before and after pics.
upcycled repainted nightstand, decoupage, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
Nightstand before.
Before pic of nightstand, with laminate top and sides.
Before pick of drawer fronts. I decided to keep the handles as they were.
After one coat of Zinsser Bull's Eye 1-2-3 primer.
I used a homemade chalk paint, using a Dark Navy paint in 3 parts, to 1 part of Plaster of Paris and a touch of water. I made a paste out of the Plaster of Paris and some water, then added the paint and mixed very well. I used Americana Decor, Timeless (cream/beige) on the drawer fronts, two coats.
Once all the paint and dried, I then decoupaged some of this lovely tissue paper I found at Michael's, using Mod Podge. I did three coats of the Mod Podge to be sure the paper was well adhered, and then spray varnished two coats on the drawer fronts for added durability.
Here is the finished product! The navy is actually deeper and darker than in the photo. Using a flash made the blue look a bit on the royal blue side, but it isn't. I like that it's a dark navy.
I waxed one coat on the finished dresser base, but didn't like the tacky result so I sprayed varnish, three coats, to finish and protect the chalk paint.
I had some fun painting and using the decoupage method on scrapbooking paper for the insides of the two drawers. I wasn't sure it would look okay, but it does and hey, why not have some fun with it?
Insides of drawers have two coats of the navy chalk paint and some scrapbooking paper for three sides. Then I added two coats of Mod Podge to everything. I painted the outer sides of the drawers with a mix of metallic silver and gold acrylic paint, but forgot to take pictures of the sides.