Amy
Amy
  • Old Forge, PA

Make a Floor Out of REAL Pennies

$100
2 Months

There are a lot of websites out there that go over the various processes for creating a penny tile floor from regular old pennies, however, I have yet to find one that actually provides a penny floor template to use. I’m going to explain MY process in detail, so that you will have something to go by if you decide to take on this project!
make a floor out of real pennies
how to make a floor out of REAL pennies.
make a floor out of real pennies, flooring, tile flooring, tiling, penny floor template will help you space the pennies evenly
penny floor template will help you space the pennies evenly
make a floor out of real pennies, flooring, tile flooring, tiling, glue the pennies onto the mesh
glue the pennies onto the mesh
make a floor out of real pennies, flooring, tile flooring, tiling, here are a few squares laid out together Beautiful
here are a few squares laid out together! Beautiful!
make a floor out of real pennies, flooring, tile flooring, tiling, Here is a photo of the floor after 3 coats of sealer
Here is a photo of the floor after 3 coats of sealer.

About 300 pennies per sq. foot
Amy

• Marcia Chapman Palmer

What do you do to shine the pennies? Been trying for years but it's hard to do. If you let them sit too long in water and even cleaning stuff. they break up and are no good.

• Shawna Bailey

Boiling water and white vinegar gets them really clean

• Ani Johnson

There is also copper tarnex

• Emmer Holbrook

spray them with vinegar, then sprinkle with salt. amazingly easy shine!

• Christine1118

hot pepper sauce (red)

• Patricia P Morgan

I have tried everything some pennies will come clean with vinegar and salt . I got copper cleaner, and wow it just wipes them clean and so shinny. It's worth the $4.00 and it goes a long way!

• Robin Murry

Lemon juice and baking soda is the choice I made. There are many different choices, that leave the pennies with a different type finish. So I tried them all. They canbe washed with soap and then boil them with vinegar,, , then dry no change on color but they are clean. Peroxide and baking soda cleans them just rinse well after. Salt and vinegar. If you want a patina finish don't rinse after. If rinisedand dried after it's a nice finish also. Again my favorite islemon juice and baking soda I used plastic buckets. Place pennies across bottom of the plastic bucket or pan , dust with baking soda. Then cover with lemon juice after the bubbling stopped I stirred and let sit for 10 minutes then rinsed, dried and rubbed with olive oil just a drop or two them store in air tight container until ready to use. Best of luck
    • Cata Garza Lecea

Soak them in lemon juice for 30-60 minutes depending on how dirty. I used a glass Corelle baking dish. Rinse and dry.

• Dee

how can you make this, so that you don't see the lines?

• Nan

I think I would put another row of pennies between the joining squares to do away with the lines that seem to form when you line the completed tiles up as you install them. . GREAT idea for being A LOT MORE COMFY while arranging the coins for easier installation !! Thanks for the suggestion!
    • Amy

Hi Nan, that is not the correct solution. The lines or seams in between the sheets were my own error (unfortunately this was my first try at this and I had no blog to follow or video to watch before laying my own floor). If I had to do it again I would just cut the mesh maybe 1/4" short of 12" x 12" so that the mesh backing would not overlap when laying another square. I appreciate your comment I just want to make sure that anyone trying this project in the future knows how to get the best result possible. -Amy

• Unique Creations By Anita

This project is totally awesome, great job!