DIY Tray Matchbox Car Wall Organizer

$25

When posed with the challenge to create a new storage solution for our home, I decided that the best place to start was in my son Lucas's room. I absolutely love kiddo storage that's in plain sight (so that Lucas'll actually play with the toy in question), but still looks good and adds function. With that goal in mind, I decided to use four kick-bootie trays that I found on clearance to create
diy tray matchbox car wall organizer, organizing
I found these trays for a whopping $2.98 a pop on a clearance end-cap at Target and literally busted out a happy-dance right there in the aisle...
I loved their clean lines and cork lining. The only problem was that the trays had a raised ridge around the perimeter on back, which made hanging a bit of a challenge. My solution was to hot-glue several layers of heavy-duty cardboard to the back to create a "plateau" to serve as mounting blocks for some Command picture hanging strips (lightweight shims would also work if you have them on hand)...
I used templates that I cut out of brown paper to determine placement (as is demonstrated by this fantastically crummy pic... sorry)...
Then, I perfected their placement with a pencil line which I created with a level to ensure that the trays were perfectly in line vertically...
I then simply followed the instructions on the back of the Command box and hung my trays. I loaded them up with Matchbox cars, added a brightly colored hook nearby for some hanging storage, and here's the result....
I'm so thrilled with how this turned out. It adds glorious function and looks pretty cute to boot. For more details, instructions, and photos (as well as links to my fellow bloggers organizing projects), check out my blog post. (P.S. The time that I listed for this project does not reflect the hour that Command recommends waiting before hanging the trays)
Operation Home Blog