My Mom's Completely DIY Bathroom Renovation

$2500
Over the holiday season, my husband and I completely renovated my mom's main bathroom in four days. Although she had slowly updated her 1970s home over several decades, it continuously went out of style and everything was done on the cheap. This time around, my mom wanted to do a complete renovation to turn this bathroom into her dream bathroom, and I believe we were able to do exactly that while sticking to a $2,500 budget. A direct link to my blog post is below, which features step-by-step tutorials on how we completed this renovation by ourselves.
Everything had to go: the old vanity and sink, original toilet, mirror, light fixture, peel-and-stick tile, and extraneous bathroom fixtures. We patched and sanded the walls, removed the original baseboards, and prepared the room for its complete overhaul.
We installed new ceramic tile floors, painted the walls and ceiling, and installed a new light fixture.
The original mirror was replaced with one that matched the vanity from Lowe's. The toilet was original to the home, so we bought my mom a new Kohler high-efficiency toilet, and installed that.
We also swapped out the old laminate vanity, sink top, and brass faucet for a new one with granite and an oil rubbed bronze widespread faucet.
We installed new baseboards and added crown molding to truly transform the space. Additional odds and ends included new oil rubbed bronze fixtures, such as a curved shower rod, toilet paper holder, towel holders, door knob, and cabinet pulls.
If she had hired a licensed general contractor to do this exact renovation, it would have cost her on the upward of $7,000 - $10,000. My mom truly loves her new bathroom and I hope she cherishes it in the years to come. Hope you like it, too!
Kirsten S

Questions on this post

Your question...
  3 questions

Comments

2 of 189 comments
Next