Becky from Practips
Becky from Practips
  • Camden, SC
Asked on Nov 1, 2012

Knob or Pull - Which One Should I Use?

RoVicki WickerTrue Identity Concepts
+27

We recently had our cabinets installed, and I'm trying to determine what to use on the corner drawers. These are 2 actual functioning drawers, not a lazy susan.
Which one -- knob or pull?
Where to place them -- top center or middle of raised panel?
How many -- just on one side or on both sides?
*Note: There is not enough room to place a pull horizontally.
The cabinet to the left with the round knob is a spice pull-out. The cabinet to the right is a two-drawer base.
Here are the options - pull or knob? In the rest of the kitchen, I am using knobs on the upper cabinets & base spice pull-out and I am using pulls on the drawers.
Here is how the corner drawer functions. There is a 90 degree, two sided facing. Should I use one or two?
  • Mary Insana

I like the look of the pull rather than a knob. if possible I would put them along the top and at the bottom which would be 4 total so it looks like you have two separate sets of drawers.

• Warren G.

That is the same drawer unit I plan on using in our new place. And I agree with @Mary I. If you use 4 separate pulls it will give the impression of 4 separate drawers.

• Gail Salminen

Love this drawer, will have to keep it in mind when we redo our kitchen, hopefully next year. You seem to have a knob on one side and a pull on the other side. I think either would look good. I agree with Mary and Warren, that you would be best to give the impression of 4 separate drawers. Considering that the knobs would be less expensive. Another option is to purchase both, consider what you like best and return the others. Show us a pic when you are done.

• BridgitteSeiber

Love the pull! Gives it a more modern look and it brings out the color in the granite!

• Mel Lea-Wood

pull I ususally prefer knobs but the pull looks better for this

• Mary Insana

I like the looks of ths corner unit, one question though, does it swivel? Seems like it would be hard to get to the things on the bottom shelf without getting on the floor.

• Designs by BSB

I would choose the knobs without question. Putting pulls into a corner (on both sides with this application) draws too much (negative) attention because of how close they would be. IMO.

• Neither. I would look for a ring pull in the same finish and mount it at center of joint, making a mounting block if necessary But being a "Customer is always right" guy, I could do the same with a knob pull. I would need to stretch myself to do a pull handle on that

• Jamala W

The pull :-)

• Joy Kelly-Warner

I like the pulls adds a little something to the cabinets.

• Personally I would steer clear of knobs in a kitchen, unless you have lots of room to move about. Knobs tend to catch things, Like pockets on pants as an example. I know this first hand as our first kitchen had them and both my wife and I were getting trapped by them catching onto our clothing when we worked in the kitchen. Anything that can catch in my opinion would not be a great idea. Also beware of pulls that have a pointy end on them. They too can catch onto clothing as well.

• Tracie

Pull. Those are big cabinets, they need something with some heft for balance.

• The look of the pull is nicer; but how are those drawers to open? The symmetry of a pull on each side would be ideal, but is it feasible to open the drawer that way? The best idea is to have it mimic the other drawers as close as possible

• Becky from Practips

Take a look at the up-close picture showing the top drawer open. There are no shelves, but there is a top drawer and a bottom drawer. There is no swivel function. This type of cabinet is fairly new, and it's a great solution to the large, dark hole. Since this is a corner cabinet, I'm not sure if it will get caught on anyone's pants...lol.

• Becky from Practips

Check out this video which explains more about my cabinet situation. Unfortunately, the video is not the best quality because it was on my iPhone. Thanks! :)

• Gail Salminen

@Becky from Practips - the video and your explanation really helped. I would go with the knobs and keep with the location used in the spice rack. I think using pulls would be more cluttered and add another line for the eye to follow because it has to be placed vertically. In my opinion the knobs would be cleaner and still maintain some cohesiveness to your cabinetry.

• Becky (J) P

I like the round knobs, 4 total, at the tops, so they look like individual cabinets. what a neat idea for a corner cabinet. Did you need the divider for structural support or just so you can have a divider to keep stuff from sliding around? I would have to go with out a divider so I fit more of my junk in the drawer.

• Mary Insana

After looking at the video and understanding how the drawers work and where placements would be I would go with the knobs. At first I liked the handles better but since you would have to put them at the top of the drawer it would throw the balance off with the other drawer nearby that has the pull in the middle. The knobs will coordinate with the knob on the spice drawer, and the cabinets above with the knob.

• Becky from Practips

@ , there are no dividers. I'm with you - I want to fit more stuff! :)

• Becky (J) P

@Becky from Practips, ok, must have been my eyeballs seeing stuff that wasn't there! lol

• Sharron W

@Becky from Practips Let us lnow how you ultimately like that cabinet, because while thinking about what I want in the kitchen I ran across that as an idea for the wasted corner. I don't need a Lazy susan, and don't think it is an efficient use of space...just more eficient than the ones that came before it...LOL I have this cabinet saved in my "kitchen, dreams" file...so I'd like to know how you like it after living with it for six months...because although it's better than the lazy susan in my mind, it still doesn't fully utilize the space unless it's custom built and I wondered how I'd feel about the stuff stored in the drawers, would it always "feel Awkward" or would I get used to them opening differently, would they fit my pan lids in the bottom? since it would replace my current silverware drawer, would a standard silverware tray fit in one half? What would I put in the other half? Anyway, I love the concept...but the handle pulls are only the beginning of the questions I have about this particular treatment in the kitchen. So help me out and let me know about your day to day use and how you feel in a month, 2 or 6... I look forward to your updates. Oh and voting for the knobs, four of them; at the top I think Gail Salminen summed it up really nicely when she said it keeps the look cohesive... Nice job on the video by the way...

• Frances S

I have knobs, wish I would have used pull. I tend to bang my shins on the lower cabinets and drawers.

• True Identity Concepts

Knowing that the pullout corner unit is intended to look like a set of 4 draws, I would use 4 knobs placed at top center. Functionally, you will be able to grab two knobs to open the top or bottom draw with ease.

• Jenny@birdsandsoap

4 knobs, otherwise it would look like something's missing.

• Becky from Practips

Thanks, everyone, for the great input! I plan to use four knobs at the top center of the drawer panels. When I get them installed, I'll take more pictures -- probably tomorrow (Thurs 11/8). For @Sharron W, I'll keep you posted and, just for your info, you can configure this corner with three or four drawers as well as two drawers. Sounds like you may want this option if using for silverware. Thanks for the nice comments about the video. My seven year old daughter helped me. :)

• Becky from Practips

Here's a picture of the finished product. Thanks all!

q knob or pull which one should i use, kitchen cabinets, Corner cabinet with knobs installed
  • Sharron W

OH WOW! Really Nice!!!

• True Identity Concepts

The visual trick of the eye with the placement of the knobs worked out very well. Thanks for sharing the pic with your final decision.

• Vicki Wicker

Knobs
  • Ro

totally love the pull