Patina Paradise
Patina Paradise
  • Cullman, AL

Turning a Plain Cabinet Into Something Beautiful Using Paint and Vinyl

$15

I was looking for a project piece to use the Prairie Colors BARN RED paint that I had on hand. I spotted this little cabinet in a junk shop. It was missing the glass on the door, but with a real porcelain pull and for only $10 I couldn't pass it up. I found the project piece that I was hoping for.
turning a plain cabinet into something beautiful using paint and vinyl, crafts, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
The backing is fabric and is well adhered, so I decided to replace the missing glass with a painted wood panel. I wanted a design that would compliment the floral interior.
I first sanded the piece since it was covered in polyurethane so that the paint would have something to adhere to. Here it is after I finished painting it. I could have left it this way, but I am a lover of patina and all things distressed so the distressed and glazed the exposed areas in a dark brown.
Once I had decide on the image that I chose from the Graphics Fairy. I wanted an inspirational phrase to go with it. Since my plans were to use this little cabinet to house and organize my containers of glitter, and designed it on my "Silhouette Studio" design program. It still needed some interest and planned to use cutout vinyl brackets to add interest to the piece.
I had my my husband cut a piece of thin board to fit the door. I painted it with an "antique white" flat paint. I transferred the image using some old fashioned typewriter copy film. I then proceeded to paint it with flat acrylic paint that I had on hand.
Here she is all finished up. I was fortunate enough that the vinyl and paint colour were an almost perfect match. I am so pleased with how smooth the paint is. If you would like more info. on PRAIRIE COLORS paint you can go here… http://www.prairiecolors.com
She now houses my collection of glitter and inspires me to create.
Here is a look at the before and after side by side. Hope I have inspired you to create something beautiful.
Patina Paradise