Bondo to the Rescue

In order to repair veneer damage we often use bondo. It isn't porous so when you paint over it after sanding it doesn't look like there is a repair...just nice and smooth!
Bondo comes in two parts that you need to mix together.
The directions aren't exactly what works in reality...at least not for me. You want to mix it in so its like a greyish maroon color. My super professional measuring is like this.....a tablespoonish of the grey stuff and about 3/4" to an inch of the red stuff.
Apply it to your damage....
We use a putty knife but be sure all your loose veneer is removed first!
Sand once it has dried and you are ready for paint! ALL better! You can also use this to recarve missing appliques, etc. Its a miracle!

To see more: http://rescuedfurnishings.com/blogs/rescued-furnishings/13616749-how-to-repair-veneer-damage

• Marge kleppel

Will it take a stain after the bondo and sanding? I have a dresser that over 50 years old, and I'd rather match the stain than paint. Thanks
  • Reba

sorry how does it look now?
  • Tricia Keeley

I have an old claw foot round table my mom in law bought from estate sale. It was painted an awful green, i had it removed, n then it sat with the rest of my unfinished projects. im now ready to do what I can to keep it. Needing your expertise. The top is cracking as your dresser. but on one part of the top, it looks like 2 layers of veneer when i pull it up. The base seems dry as well. Please, help. Restore, paint or stain?
    , split top looks like 2 layers, peeling top, dry base with some cracking
    • Jacx

It's actually 1 layer that is constructed of 2 pieces running in opposite grain directions. Older veneers are thicker than new stuff which makes matching up height layers a bit challenging. The piece was most likely made w animal hide glue which is part of the reason it dries out and lifts. Old glue wasn't the best sometimes. If there is enough to salvage then keep it and reglue otherwise you'll have to get rid of the loose stuff and fill in that area. Even w wood filler I've never had good stain results. Old Masters actually paint the grain in using anilyne dye mixed w alcohol to match the grain over the wood filler. A very specialized talent and time consuming. Maybe paint the top and keep the base as wood, if possible. Good luck.

• Michelle

I hate it when people post their projects and don’t show how it turned out nor try and help people out by answering questions!!

• Joyce T

I will be using this trick on a side board that I have had for years. During a recent move, it got wet and the veneer peeled. I was wondering how I was going to fix it. I thought of doing a ceramic mosaic on top as well.

• Jacx

If you haven't scraped off the veneer, try ironing it! Put a cloth down, no water, and iron it. Don't scorch it. You may get lucky and get the old glue to remelt. Worth a try. Depends on how bad the situation is. You might then use a tiny brush to glue loose areas. Just use Elmer's wood glue.