Angie Forte
Angie Forte
  • Lascassas, TN

Easy Valentine's Day Craft: Carved in Stone

A few years ago, I saw a article about carving rocks using a Dremel tool. For this easy Valentine craft, I thought I'd give this method a try. Let me say...it was so quick and easy! Great keepsake for not only Valentine's Day but any time of year.
easy valentine s day craft carved in stone valentinesday easydiy, crafts, seasonal holiday decor, valentines day ideas
Perfect gift for carving sentiments in stone to give to your special someone. More details and photos are on my blog.
Grab some rocks from the yard or from your stash if you're a rock hound like me. You'll need a Dremel tool with the drill (grinding) bit that comes with the kit. Don't forget to wear safety glasses as there will be dust and possible fragments.
Using a gray colored marker or chalk, draw out your design. This will help with placement and sizing. Once you begin carving, it's too late ;)
Begin carving your design. Be sure to hold the rock and the drill steady. You will hit rough spots that could cause the drill to jump and could ruin your design. Continue going over your design until you've reached the depth of carving that you're happy with.
These are some of my finished ones. It took me less than 30 minutes to do all three. Some types of rocks will carve easier than others. I used river rocks but you could try a couple of the landscaping stones that you purchase by the bag or whatever is native to your area.
Angie Forte

• Donna

I don't own a dremel but I'm going to buy one - does drilling through stone use a lot of bits?

• Angie Forte

I didn't have to replace the one I used. Be sure to choose a softer rock. Dense, hard rocks like granite may wear on the bit more. Enjoy your Dremel!

• Eileen Oakes

I have thought about playing with rocks but never thought to use my dremel to carve them. I am excited to try and see what I can accomplish. Thanks

• Teresa Johnson

Using water (rock in a pan of water) will keep the dust down and save the life of dremel bits.