To Paint or Not To Paint

I have been struggling for quite some time to paint my 'OAK" dining set. It's not that I'm afraid to it's just that there is so much detail and I'm wondering if the sanding is going to prove to be too much. Any good suggestions?
This is my old house but I still have this dining set
Old house again. I just moved the dining set to the kitchen.
Denyse @ Glitter Glue and Paint

• Carolyn Kelso-Bell

You can put a white runner down the center of the table...and also use slipcovers if you want the look of white but not the paint. i painted my four chairs white and use the runner for the table..

• Annie Doherty

Hi Denys go for it, you do don't need to sand them down first I use a good quality primer Zinsser 123 bullseye, brilliant stuff, leave to dry and paint with a good quality Eggshell or similar this makes it a practical hard wearing choice. You won't regret your choice, just take it slowly and you won't need to redo it. Speaking from experience here haha Good luck with project can you repost when you finish it?