Anita Dueis
Anita Dueis
  • Moorhead, MN

bowling ball gazing balls

glass ..  this one I left one hole open and set in on a piece of rebar pounded in the garden...that way you can easily determine the height you want it.
glass .. this one I left one hole open and set in on a piece of rebar pounded in the garden...that way you can easily determine the height you want it.
pennies ... all heads up.... the clear coat really makes this sparkle in the sunshine
this is just setting on the center hub of an old wooden wagon wheel that could not be saved

• Glo23345606

What did you seal it with? Was it sprayed on or brushed on? My pennies fell off
    • Anita Dueis

I had used a spray and my pennies started coming off too. I don't believe it was the fault of the sealer though, I think it was because I had them touching so I wasn't able to get grout all the way around each penny. The ones I did with glass(where the pieces are further apart and grout all around each piece) I haven't had any issues with and I used the spray clear coat on them too. I haven't redone the penny ball yet to prove that though...
    • Jms26523074

I made one and all the pennies were from 2002. Got them from the bank. It takes $5.50. Since I was keeping it out doors, I used GE II glue in a tube. My DH sprayed a pipe bronze, put it in the thumb hole. Then he grouted the whole thing. Then when it was dry, sprayed the ball with a clear sealer. It was outside for at least 10 years until the sealer started flaking off. When a penny came off it was turned up like a saucer. I have made them with shells, collected from KAUAI and for my mother, one with all old costume jewelry. NO PLASTIC! Same kind of glue. It was like putting a jigsaw puzzle together without the picture. I found a heavy vase, set the ball on it, draw a line with whiteout. then I would know how far down to go. I added a row of cotton lace on the top of the edge of the vase. There is a site for Gazing Balls.
  • Pat Carlin

OMG. What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to glue flat marbles on a bowling ball using Loctite adhesive. When they dry and I touch them, a lot just falls off. There must be a way to overcome this as I see beautiful finished ones on this site. Help me, please.
    • Anita Dueis

I believe this is the glue I used. I also lightly sanded the bowling ball to get a better surface to adhere to. I had a friend try one with the flat marbles and she had trouble with them staying on also...not sure what glue she used. I also tried one with buttons with my granddaughter. I didn't have much luck with that either (too many different thicknesses). That one I was not able to seal out the moisture from getting under the buttons, then freezing and popping them off. Same with my penny ball. Had I stored them for the winter they may have been ok. My stained glass ball has been outside for years and I have never had any thing come off! Hope this helps...good luck!

• Stephanie Dwl

What a great Idea! My parents have passed away and I have their bowling balls with their initials on them. Wanted to keep them but they are taking up space, they could be on display this way!

• Kathe

Pat - I use E6000 with no problems