DIY Show Off
DIY Show Off
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Upholstering/tufting a coffee table turned ottoman

As a part of a DIY challenge, I transformed a coffee table into a tufted upholstered ottoman to better. Tufts aren't as 'tough' as I thought. Have you tried upholstery or tufting? I'm always propping my legs up on the coffee table. Cushions are so much more comfortable!
DIY means choosing a fabric that works with the room and existing decor.
Tufts give the plain fabric/top cushion more interest and texture.
Using a long upholstery needle and waxed button thread made this job a lot easier. The waxed thread helped hold things tightly in place.
DIY Show Off

• Mary Insana

I have a huge mission style coffee table on our sun porch and I always put my legs up and the cats always sit there too. This may be a spring project since the porch is getting too cold. It's such a mis mash of furnature, I'd love to find some nice chairs to pull it all together. I have 2 ugly gold colored wing chairs, a cute floral love seat. I think I'll match the ottoman to the colors in the love seat. I also may paint the end table and coffee table with chalk paint before I cover. Oh.....are we ever done doing things?

• DIY Show Off

Thanks, ladies! Mary - there's always something on my DIY list too!