How to Upgrade your Builder Grade Mirror - Frame it! Cost us around $30

I love framed mirrors in the bathroom but I really don't like the idea of ripping out a large builder mirror to replace it with a smaller framed one. Not only is it hurting the environment, it hurts my pocket book. So at our first house we framed our builder grade mirror with some cheap MDF molding and ever since, we have been hooked on this cheap, but with a huge impact, solution. There are absolutely NO MITERED corners used in this frame so you don't have to be afraid to start this project.
Using a few common trims that you can find at Home Depot and Lowes, I created a framed mirror that is different than the majority you see. The crown molding on the top made a huge difference! Since I got the crown molding on clearance and had some materials on hand, this cost around $30! Stop by for our easy, step by step tutorial on how you can make this mirror frame.
Our easy framed mirror!
Our easy framed mirror!
how to upgrade your builder grade mirror frame it cost us around 30, crafts
This is what the mirror looked like before we framed the mirror and made some other minor changed.
Stephanie at Full of Great Ideas

• Sho13116212

Just for clarification, you use 3M double sided tape on the back of the mirror to attach it to the sheetrock wall...am I correct? Can the trim frame also be attached with the tape?

• Adrain Clyburn Mattli

I believe her mirror was prehung by the builder. She used liquid nails to attach the trim around the mirror.

• What materials did you use?

• Cola Champagne

I love this idea, I have the same question as Phylis F. How do I attach the moulding with the wall clips?

• Shawna Bailey

She used liquid nails

• Rick Boyd

with the clips you have to gut out a space to accommodate for the clips... i had to do that.... if your mirror is glued to the wall you're fine... but it sounds like you and i have the same problem.... those annoying wall clips. anyway, i used 1 x 6 pine (mitered at the corners) and had to cut a notch for the clip)0.... i hope this helped ....
    • KKAbsherwrites

She answers at the end of her blog. Click on the link. Always click on a blog link as they give more details than space allows here. :)
    • Rms9071207

You could change the mirror clips to small steel washers which are thinner then the clips
    • Irene

Absolutely LOVE the makeover. Definitely want to DIY. And, "Rmsmearer" - simple but very clever tip - thanks for sharing.
  • J

You had to change your lighting to make room for the frame. Did you do that yourself or did you hire someone? How much did that cost?

• Lynda

I don't think she did. I think the molding was attached to the mirror beneath the original light fixtures. At least that is what I would do:)
  • Lch28446158

Ho did you install it?
  • Sandra Harvey

This looks very nice. I have a different question. I have a builder grade mirror I want to frame and use as a headboard. Do you think that frame will work?

• Patricia Schell

How do I work over the little plastic tabs on top of my mirror? I'm afraid the mirror will fall down if I take them off.

• Debbie

I love this look & would love to pursue it since it matches the crown throuout the house! I’m thinking that with regular paint though, it would wear fast around the mirror edges from cleaning the mirror. What could I do to prevent this ?

• Amy Mosley Welch

Mine has not been affected by cleaning..just paint it well with a semi gloss paint, put kilz on it you have fresh raw wood molding...its been up at least 8 years....

• Sharon Gott Griffin

How do you get around those clips is the same question I need an answer to. Someone please! We are in the re decorating phase now!

• Barbara Clifford

How do you go over the mirror clips?

• Cookie

Can these pieces be glued?

• Cathy

Yes, with construction glue like Gorilla glue. To hold molding in place while the glue dries, use painter's tape.

• Val

What type of wood did you use? Is the wood glued?

• Linda Abate

Way to go. What a great way to use molding. Love the look you created. I can definitely see something like this over a fireplace mantle.
  • Joan Stanley

I love this idea! I was about to buy some framing but couldn't make up my mind what to get. I never thought of using plain boards on the sides. That solves a multitude of installation problems! Thank you for sharing this. Its beautiful!