Andrea
Andrea
  • Kennesaw, GA

DIY Fabric Trimmed Curtains

This project has been on my list for a while and I can finally check it off. We had plain white curtains from Ikea hanging in our master bedroom. I loved the simpleness of them but I wanted to jazz them up a bit.
diy fabric trimmed curtains, home decor, reupholster, window treatments
Here's what they looked like before.
To trim the curtains, I picked up a twin bedsheet from Walmart. It gave me a ton of fabric for a cheap price. Instead of choosing a plain gray sheet, I chose one that had a pattern for more texture in the room. I also used fabric glue, scissors, and measuring tape.
Here's how I trimmed the curtains.
1. I laid out my sheet on the floor. I wanted three inch strips so I measured four and a half inch strips to start. This gave me room for the three inch strip, a half inch seam on one side, and a one inch seam on the other.
2. On the seam that would be on the outside, I wanted it it look finished. So I rolled the fabric in half an inch and rolled half an inch again and ironed. In total, I rolled it an inch in. I did this all the way down the strip. I was going to just lay the fabric on top but I thought this way would look more professional from the front.
3. I flipped the fabric right side up and measured three inches across. I folded it at the three inch mark and ironed.
4. Again, I continued this all the way down until my strip was complete.
5. I laid out my curtain panel and laid the strip on top, making sure the double rolled edge was towards the outside. Flip the edge of them both over together. Tuck the edge of the curtain inside the fabric. Apply a line of glue and press down.
6. I glued this edge all the way down.
7. Flip the panel back over, right side up. Starting at the top, I just cut my fabric a little longer and tucked it so it had a finished edge.
8. Begin gluing the fabric down to the top of the curtain. I must say I was pretty impressed with this fabric glue. Why haven't I used this before? Way easier than hem tape.
This is what it looked like all glued down. Don't forget I did eight panels but it went pretty quick. Once I found my rhythm, you couldn't stop me.
Look at the results! I love it.
The curtains frame the window now. They look so much more tailored and polished.
I'm glad I finally completed this and checked it off my list. The curtains make a statement in the room and give it a more luxurious feel.
The room is starting to fall into place.
Andrea

• Blackeyedjosie

Can these be washed with the fabric glue? I’ll have to do this, they look great!!

• Kier

Do you think adding the trim to the top and bottom of the curtains would be too much? I wouldn't think a pattern would work but if going with a light airy color?

• Kier

Ha! Sorry, didn't mean to add a project to your list. I do like the idea of adding color to encompass the white.

• Iris McGowan

Do you have any more coloure please thanks

• Joanie

Something was missing. They look finished.......really nice, I try all different things with curtains. This idea completed the curtain.

• Milind Bhandirge

very best.