Home Repair Tutor
Home Repair Tutor
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Cleaning Shower Tile & Grout:What Works and What Doesn't

How on earth do you get your shower grout and ceramic tile looking new again?
Last weekend I compared three different products: OxiClean, Eco Orange Cleaner, and Chlorox. OxiClean is oxygenated bleach and is a great alternative to chlorinated bleach because it doesn't give off odors and discolor clothing or carpets. Eco Orange is expensive ($80 per gallon), and it would help to know if it works on tough tile & grout stains before you purchase it. Chlorox is highly recommended for cleaning showers but does it always work?

OxiClean is found in most grocery stores in the laundry detergent aisle. The directions are somewhat vague for tile cleaning. This is why I decided to use different amounts and tinkered around with how much to add to one gallon of water. You can view the blog post I put together at http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-ceramic-tile-and-grout.

Overall I thought OxiClean did a fantastic job removing dirt & grime from the tiles and some of the grout. I tried both Eco Orange and Chlorox after OxiClean to see if they could improve the appearance of the grout. But had no luck.
This cleaning project took several days and I wanted to share the outcomes with the Hometalk community so you could save money, time, and the possibility of putting your back out (like I did, ouch!). If you don't have time to do anything else you should scan the pictures. They walk you through my findings and one shows you my cheesy moustache I'm growing in support of prostate and testicular cancer awareness. Funny stuff :)
Do you have a grout & tile cleaning solution you'd like to share?
cleaning shower tile amp grout what works and what doesn t, cleaning tips
Home Repair Tutor

• Fatima Robaina

what s the best way to clean shower floor tiles? I have tried bleach, vinegar, ajax, ammonia (letting it soak for hours) and it still looks dirtly

• Lagree Wyndham

I just beached my grout last night on bathroom floor. Part of tile had been under vanity that was removed...grout was like new, the exposed grout was dark an and dirty compared, especially in front of sink areas, I used 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. Soaked the floor with bleach solution and let sit for about 458 minutes to any hour. The I came back with fresh water and a rag and rinsed, raking a few minutes to scrub grout were it was really stained. This morning it looks almost new. I am gonna do the place in front of sink one more time, it is a lite cleaner, but not quite match yet....may just use straight bleach on that area. Bleach works great if you just let it sit.

• Isaac Barnes

bleach does a great job!