Laura G
Laura G
  • Evergreen Park, IL

Mosaic Gazing Ball

This is my first mosaic 3-D project and I had so much fun doing it! I made this for my mom because she loves to garden and I thought her garden needed an accessory. I think with all the various colors, it will blend/accent it nicely. Enjoy!
View of gazing ball
View of gazing ball
Other side of gazing ball
Other side of gazing ball
Close up detail
Close up detail
Close up detail
Close up detail
Close up detail
Close up detail
Yet another side of gazing ball
Yet another side of gazing ball

• Bernice H

This can't be your first attempt? Awesome! I have done gems..but this is beautiful.

• Carmen

Did you do any special prep work to the ball? I tried this with glass spheres from Wal-Mart. The grout cracked and everything fell off.

• Laura G

I wrapped the Styrofoam in ridged wrap (they use it for making casts), then a layer of thinset. You can eliminate the thinset if it is not exposed to moisture or extreme hot or cold temperatures. However, I would recommend using thinset as a layer on the Styrofoam, then adhere your tiles with silicone, dry, grout and seal. Because we live in the Midwest, my mom brings in the ball in late fall and back outside in the spring. So far, no damage and it's almost 5 years ago that I made it. I inspect it every spring before she sets it out and I've only had to polish it and reseal. :-)

• Bronfoth

Is there a materials list?

• Laura G

No, caulk is not an adhesive. you'd be better off using silicone.

• Bernice H

@Laura G I agree..i always use silicone clear caulk ..bathroom or outdoor..it holds up wonderfully tough and long time. I did my bowling balls with it and they have weathered the cold and heat nicely for years.

• Marylou

My ball is almost done. We have been working on it in our moasic class. It has been rewarding
    , My old bowling ball