Mosaic Gazing Ball

This is my first mosaic 3-D project and I had so much fun doing it! I made this for my mom because she loves to garden and I thought her garden needed an accessory. I think with all the various colors, it will blend/accent it nicely. Enjoy!
View of gazing ball
Other side of gazing ball
Close up detail
Close up detail
Close up detail
Yet another side of gazing ball

• Bernice H

This can't be your first attempt? Awesome! I have done gems..but this is beautiful.

• Carmen

Did you do any special prep work to the ball? I tried this with glass spheres from Wal-Mart. The grout cracked and everything fell off.

• Laura G

I wrapped the Styrofoam in ridged wrap (they use it for making casts), then a layer of thinset. You can eliminate the thinset if it is not exposed to moisture or extreme hot or cold temperatures. However, I would recommend using thinset as a layer on the Styrofoam, then adhere your tiles with silicone, dry, grout and seal. Because we live in the Midwest, my mom brings in the ball in late fall and back outside in the spring. So far, no damage and it's almost 5 years ago that I made it. I inspect it every spring before she sets it out and I've only had to polish it and reseal. :-)

• Bronfoth

Is there a materials list?

• Cindy Rubin

Where are the written instructions?

• Sarah

Yes I was wondering how she did the ball or was it already a glazing ball ?

• Chris J

She used a Styrofoam ball. Look at the answer to the question that Carmen asked up above. She explains how she did it. I was wondering how she did it too.

• Marti Steele Buurkarl

Instructions? Link to blog post? Anything?

• Laura G

Unfortunately, I do not have a blog and there are many steps and specific tools and materials you’ll need. I’d probably check YouTube for mosaic videos and how to’s. Facebook also has a lot of great mentoring groups too. I’d also recommend taking a class for basics and go from there. There is a learning curve so don’t be too hard on yourself. My skills have improved since I’ve done this project so I see many design flaws that I would change.

• Sarah

I am going to use a regular play ball and see if I can make it work thinking it might after all just need grout to stick to something. I will make it thick

• Jolene Nicholson Howard

Could use a bowling ball