Asked on Jan 20, 2015

Couch cushions pushing forward

SharonHomeroadCheryl Biermann
+22

Any ideas out there on how to stop seat cushions on a couch from migrating forward? It is a sleeper sofa from a nice manufacturer...I've tried the rubbery stuff for rugs and even the rubbery material boaters use to prevent slipping, but to no avail! any ideas?
I've even tried the tucking the cushion backwards...
  • OBX Interiors
    OBX Interiors

Try a gripping rug pad... Its easy to cut to any size. Or it looks like your cushions are one sided, if so you can get a heavy duty velcro and attach a single strip to the seat deck and to the cushion. This is not an uncommon thing with sofas. Ashley Sofas often have a 2"x6" piece of Velcro under the cushions to help hold them in place. Just put it in the same spot on all 3 cushions so you can switch them around every so often and avoid the favorite spot look.

• Dolly Golen
    Dolly Golen

Velcro

• Bobbie Long
    Bobbie Long

sew some rings to the back of the cushions, then to the back of the sofa. Then connect the cushion to the back using a string or velcro. It's about the only system that will actually work!

• Yasmin Steinke
      Yasmin Steinke

Hi Bobbie can u post a video on how to do this? Even if urs is done, but as an example. My email is incrediblerio@gmail.com. thank you. Nothing else has worked

• Carole
    Carole

I agree with Dolly and Bobbie - Try Velcro strips attached to the cushions, that should hold them!

• Gail Salminen
    Gail Salminen

@Angelynne Amores Beaudry apparently they make a product called dura grip to prevent this - http://www.amazon.com/Cushion-Keeper-Non-Slip-Underlay-Cushions/dp/B00KOVOZ8S Haven't used it but it looks different from the nonslip mesh you may have been using. I would be careful using Velcro as occasionally you need to flip then which would be difficult with Velcro stuck to one side.

• Janet Miracle
    Janet Miracle

I also recommend Velcro, the double sided kind. put the strips all along the back of the seat cushions and along the sides and underneath the front of the cushions.

• Lorna Reed Jean
    Lorna Reed Jean

I used velco heavy duty strips. I struck to the undersize of the cushion and the bottom of the seat where the cushions seat on. Make sure that you position it where the cushion is seating all the way back flush against the back of the couch. Works great!

• CK
      CK

@Lorna Reed JeanI was just going to write the same thing :-)

• Pati Russell
    Pati Russell

Velcro strips

• Molly
    Molly

I used Velcro strips with our leather couch and the glue side of the velcro is not strong enough to hold in place over time. A furniture sales person told me to use 2 way carpet tape and it will never move, so I am going to give it a try.

• Danee Kaplan
    Danee Kaplan

I just put everything back where it belongs every day or two.

• Andrea R
      Andrea R

@Danee Kaplan LOL! Thats what I do,everytime anyone has sat on my couch,and its so aggravating,too.

• Dcsharpe
    Dcsharpe

My couch has velcro strips attached already and the cushions still slip. I have to pull them up off the velcro to slide them back in and the velcro on the bottom of the cushions has actually started to rip the fabric it is attached to. We have kids and pets (and a husband) so all the gunk that gets down in the couch gets the velcro clogged up. you can comb this out but I don't know what to do about the ripping. I just don't think there is a good solution. I just need a monster sofa covered in plastic, lol!

• Lisa House
    Lisa House

My hubby is harder on the furniture than my kids ever were, plus with kids you can correct the way they sit but not the hubby, right?

• Ann
    Ann

Get rubber carpet padding big enough to go under all the cushions front to back.The thin type. You want the rubberiness, not the thickness. I have done this on leather chairs and it does work fine on them.

• Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper

Have any of the above ideas worked? How about the rubbery- like shelf liner under each cushion? We've used that under area rugs to keep them in place.

• Angelynne Amores Beaudry
    Angelynne Amores Beaudry

No none of them worked. Luckily the maker and the store have great customer service and sent a pro who sewed in Velcro.

• Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper

how about that rubber like shelf paper? it's non skid.

• Cheryl Biermann
    Cheryl Biermann

I really would like to hear from anyone who has devised a way to turn a pillow backed chair into a regular sofa. I like the looks of our sofa, but the pillows and cushions are ridiculous!

• Homeroad
    Homeroad

The rubber layer that you put under a rug should do the trick.

• Sharon
    Sharon

You can sew a strip of velcro on the back of each cushion and then the other half on the back of the sofa where the pillows rest. But this type of style is a pain IMHO and would never buy again after owning one. I also hate the 3 cushion bottom which also slides out. Next sofa I got sure was different.