House Mouse

Light brown to black in color, small eyes, pointed nose, large ears, long tail and about 2 inches in length. The house mouse is the most common rodent pest in most parts of the world. The female mouse can give birth every three weeks to a dozen babies, that's 150 babies a year! Their diet consists mainly of plants & grains but they will eat meat & dairy products as well and require very little water to survive. House mice nest in and around structures, especially in stacked firewood, stones, bricks, leaves and other debris. They establish a territory near food sources, generally 10 to 30 feet from their nest. House mice breed throughout the year and often share nests with their "relatives". House mice spread disease through bite wounds and contaminating food & water with their waste products. They can also spread disease through parasites such as ticks, fleas & mites. These parasites bite the infected mouse and then spread the disease by biting humans, this is why controlling rodent problems are extremely important. Prevention tips include: 1) Eliminate harborage in and around the house. Do not allow piles of leaves to accumulate next to the home, remove any piles of debris, stones, bricks, firewood, etc. 2) Seal holes & cracks inside & outside the home. Mice can fit through a hole as small as 1/4 in length. 3) Mice eat 15-20 times a day, so never leave food out. 4) Empty garbage on a daily basis and keep lids on the trash cans. 5) Frequently clean up sheds, crawlspaces, attics, storage rooms & garages. 6) Install weather stripping on the bottom of all doors. 7) Keep the house clean and free of clutter. - If problems persist, contact a Pest Control Company for help.
House Mouse

• Dolores DeLuise

I live in a brownstone with 1' thick walls between houses. We had mice; they've been here more than 100 years. One day four or five of them were jumping up and down in the laundry hamper, trying to get out. Yuck. So, I had someone make holes in my walls, about 4" in diameter, put in D Con, and sealed up the hole with a plastic device we got at Home Depot. You insert it into the hole and it snaps shut and open. I change the D Con every time I see a mouse, about once every two years. It can be painted any color to match the walls. Additionally, I started seeing roaches once and called an exterminator, who couldn't make it for over a week. He said to pour high-strength vinegar into all the sinks and toilets, about a quart--use two quarts in high-roach areas. I do that about twice a year when I see roaches and they're all gone.

, The back of the mechanism that sits on the inside of the wall There is a spring thing on it that keeps it in place, Brand Watts Industries, It can be painted to match the wall
  • Carey

I had a major mouse infection and have been fighting it for years. My husband and I kept sealing up any holes we could find but they were still getting in and I was really frustrated. After he passed away, I found out how they were getting in. They were chewing a hole in the ceiling inside my Cabinets. Once I plugged those hotes, caught the mice that ere already in the house, I have had no further problem. I found 4 holes that they had chewed in the ceiling. I was beginning to think that I was going to have a steel wool and tape ceiling by the time I had it stopped! I also used the old fashioned mouse traps and found that they got wise to them. but by baiting them and leaving them unset, they got careless and I caught quite a few until they got suspicious again and I had to repeat that process! It worked!