CK
CK
  • Mandan, ND

Ugly Duckling to Swan: A Second Hand Table Becomes a Real Gem!

$150

We had a truly great glass top table....but it could only seat 4. So I put on my hunting glasses to find a table that would seat 6...and more if it had leaves. I hit my mark :-)
See the before and afters. We're loving it!
painted dining room table in white with gold accents, painted furniture
Eric, my hubby, also had to repair the apron in one corner. This table is oak, but it's not an antique. Judging from it's construction and that it had plastic parts, I'm guessing it was from about the 70's or 80's. It's all about the shape/size for me :-)
After! We're loving the fresh, new look.
The chairs were also second hand. They were originally from a restaurant so are very sturdy. I painted them and added the pretty French document print to the seats. We were using these with our glass top table too.
We added the appliques
We added the appliques
The Hobby Lobby appliques added a little more interest to the table. Also, since our LR furniture had references to Louis XVI, these appliques bring the table a little closer to that look too. After painting I lightly distressed the appliques to bring out more detail.
A very pretty slightly scalloped edge
A very pretty slightly scalloped edge
Another leg view
Another leg view
Leg view close-up
Leg view close-up
It's nice that the wood grain shows through. It gives it a little 'texture'.
View looking down into the LR
View looking down into the LR
Because you can see the underside of the table from the LR, we also painted the entire underside of the table including the metal 'expansion mechanism'. It's pretty from all views :-) The table has 2, 18" leaves too! Both were painted on all sides too. All the photos are without any leaves in place.
After....... Looking rather dreamy
After....... Looking rather dreamy
This soft, simple scene will be the sight of many happy meals for our family and friends or just the two of us :-)

• Nilaboone2005

love what you did...can you tell me what kind of paint you used... and did you have to sand the table... ;thanks
    • CK

Here's what I did:
      1. Cleaned the table using all purpose cleaner, then let dry
      2. Primed with Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 in interior/exterior formula two coats
      3. Painted using Olympic Paint +Primer in One eggshell sheen, in white right out of the can. Used brush and foam roller for application. (If I was doing it today I'd use our new paint sprayer.) https://www.olympic.com/products/paints/olympic-one-interior-paint

We did no sanding except on the legs near the bottom where we had to glue loose parts together. Other than than, it was smooth enough for priming/painting.

• Gail Salminen

@CK what a beauty. Love the white look. I think what makes it even more elegant is the fabric you chose for the chairs and the treatment you gave the detail on the legs. Superb job! Thanks for sharing.

• CK

@Gail Salminen thank you! I love what paint can do :-)

• Loribeth

I love what you did to the table and the chairs! I've thought about doing the same thing to my mahogany set, but just can't bring myself to do it. I love the mahogany too much!

• CK

@Loribeth If you still love your mahogany, then maybe it's still not the right time to paint it :-) You'll know when/if the time is right to paint your set. I had some dark oak end tables for over 25 years. Finally one day I said "I'm painting them!" Turned out great for our look and a great money saver too because I didn't have to buy anything else.