Jim
Jim
  • Raleigh, NC
Asked on Nov 10, 2012

Lots of chickweed in re-seeded fescue lawn

Douglas HuntJimKMS Woodworks
+1

I aerated and overseeded fescue the first week of September. A few weeks later I put out some more seed in the thinner areas. The original seeding has been mowed three times, but the newer grass is just now getting tall enough to mow.
I'd like to spray Weed B Gon Max on the very healthy chickweed crop, but don't want to hurt the newer grass.
How far into the fall (or winter) can I wait to try to kill the chickweed?

Jim, I'm not sure what the active ingredient in Weed B Gon is, but you can apply some post-emergent herbicides effective on chickweed any time when the temperature is above 50 degrees, so you can certainly give your newer grass some more time to get established. See this from the NC State extension service for additional tips and herbicide recommendations: http://burke.ces.ncsu.edu/controlling-chickweed/

• Jim

Thanks -- very helpful article! Active ingredient is 2,4-D, so I'll just look for some warm days in the next month or two to spray. I guess I must have let last year's weed crop go too long before spraying, so the seeds have been sitting there -- waiting for all the water and fertilizer they received this fall!

Seeds are opportunistic that way. Applying a pre-emergent next year will help.