Black wood flooring - caution

I am remodeling an older house and made a big costly mistake that I want to let everyone know, hopefully to keep them from making the same mistake. I installed black laminate wood flooring (Dream Home - St. James 12mm Chimney Rock Charcoal Laminate) in my kitchen and diningroom because I couldn't afford natural wood flooring stained black like I had in my other home. Black flooring is beautiful but it does need to be cleaned every day because it shows everything, so that is the first caution concerning it's use. I didn't have a problem cleaning my natural wood flooring daily (dust mop or steam cleaning worked just great, and I even had three big dogs), but the laminate is another problem altogether. No matter what I use to clean it, it shows every spot and streak and the only way to make it "shine" is to go over the floor with a dry buffing cloth right after I clean it -- and I'm talking about on my hands and knees! Thank goodness these rooms aren't too big or it would take me all day to "clean" my floors. Needless to say, as soon as I can afford it the flooring will be changed, but it kills me to know that all that money will be wasted. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

• Dave

Donna R do you have any extra you are willing to sell?

• Jeff

Do you like the look, other than the cleaning issue. I just purchased these floors but have not installed yet. Do you have pictures?

• Penni Humburg

I use "quick shine floor finish" by Halloway House. It's sold at K-mart and H. Depot. Gives my honey colored laminate floors a great high shine every time.

• Jill

I had a major flood and am looking for about 800 sq feet of the LL Chimney Rock Charcoal for replacement...if anyone has extra to sell contact jcorya@msn.com.