Coke Bottle Terrarium

17K Views
During the cold, dreary months of winter, a bit of green can be very cheery. I've wanted to "build" a terrarium for some time and when I heard about a blog challenge to come up with new ways to use soda bottles, I knew right away I wanted to create a terrarium.
Time: 20 MinutesCost: $5.00Difficulty: Easy
  • coke bottle terrarium, gardening, home decor, repurposing upcycling, terrarium
I knew I'd need some tropical plants, some soil, some pebbles, and some charcoal.
Use a 2-liter Coke bottle because it has curves in all the right places. Cut out the middle portion of your bottle, leaving a 'bottom" and a "top."
Then you have to layer your materials: pebbles, charcoal, and then soil. Now your're ready to add your plants. I used a Umbrella plant (from Aldi's) and a mini pink Kalanchoe (from Trader Joe's)--both are tropical.
Add you plants by impressing a small dip in the soil with your finger. Set the plant roots in and tamp in place, making sure the roots are covered.
Come on over to my blog to see more pictures and more guidance about how to make your own terrarium. This project would be suitable for children 8 and up.

Suggested materials for this project:

Adirondack Girl @ Heart

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question