Coke Bottle Terrarium

$5.00

During the cold, dreary months of winter, a bit of green can be very cheery. I've wanted to "build" a terrarium for some time and when I heard about a blog challenge to come up with new ways to use soda bottles, I knew right away I wanted to create a terrarium.
I knew I'd need some tropical plants, some soil, some pebbles, and some charcoal.
Use a 2-liter Coke bottle because it has curves in all the right places. Cut out the middle portion of your bottle, leaving a 'bottom" and a "top."
Then you have to layer your materials: pebbles, charcoal, and then soil. Now your're ready to add your plants. I used a Umbrella plant (from Aldi's) and a mini pink Kalanchoe (from Trader Joe's)--both are tropical.
Add you plants by impressing a small dip in the soil with your finger. Set the plant roots in and tamp in place, making sure the roots are covered.
Come on over to my blog to see more pictures and more guidance about how to make your own terrarium. This project would be suitable for children 8 and up.

Adirondack Girl @ Heart

• Dathel Moore Kempf

this would be great to start garden plants from seeds since they require so much humidity that the terrarium would accommodate. thanks so much for this idea!

• Billie

I get so many candles in the jars with lids for Christmas , Birthday and Mother's Day. I hate throwing them out and this gives me ideas for return gifts. Make these inexpensive terrarium gifts for Granddaughters and close friends. Thank you for this idea.