Building Moxie
Building Moxie
  • Baltimore, MD

Repairing Old Wood & Addressing Peeling Paint

With old houses, there are two types of projects that seem to pop up almost as regularly as rain ... Repairing Old Wood & Addressing Aging Paint. Recently I had the opportunity to work with two products that preformed excellently in these areas: I used Peel Bond Primer/Bonder to prep wood behind new gutters & I used Abatron's WoodEpox to repair a rotten wood window sill. Neither was a solicited endorsement, but rather the result of good research. Hope it's helpful.
2nd floor balcony on my old house (before)
Abatron's WoodEpox is like dough.
Abatron's WoodEpox is like dough.
Peel Bond Primer & Bonder
Peel Bond Primer & Bonder
Repaired wood window sill
Repaired wood window sill
Fascia prepped with Peel Bond prior to gutters
Building Moxie

• Judy Britz

I live in an older Mobile home single wide..Please recommend exterior wall paint on a tight budget
    • Building Moxie

Hi Judy. Home centers should have a number of low cost options. Walmart too perhaps. Check out Olympic for one. Glidden too. Buying larger quantities like 5 gallons will offer a per gallon discount. Good luck. ~jb
  • Marie.davidson

It looks like I found this post sort of late, but hope you are still monitoring because peeling and rotten windowsills are my problem. Do I have the steps straight? - coat the windowsill with Wood epox and smear it, then coat with a primer, and then apply paint?
    Thank you!
    • Building Moxie

Hi Marie. First step would be removing as much of the rotten wood as possible. Without more info, this could mean just digging out soft wood and/or prying or cutting out the whole sill. If enough the wood is sound, you would use wood hardener first on the damage and then follow with the epoxy-based wood filler - which can be sanded. I'd recommend a hi quality primer (not a paint and primer in one) that matches your needs (i.e. new bare wood or a patched surface in an already painted board). I used the hi-build Peel Bond here because of the irregularity of my surface, but you might look at bonding primers or oil-based primers. Finish by painting with an Exterior Paint. Good luck and hopes this helps. ~jb @BuildingMoxie
    • Marie.davidson

This is very helpful. Thank you so much!

• Building Moxie

all the best @Sharron W I would try to make sure that it is not too hot and not too humid. and perhaps would look to do both coats of paint in the same day (again see what the product recommends) ... look forward to seeing pics of the redo. ~jb

• There's no getting away from it, if it's flaking, it needs to be removed. Sanding, priming and painting is the way to go.