White Christmas Mason Jar Luminaries

$10

Super easy, pretty (and cheap!) mason jar luminaries for Christmas. I used stencils, glass paint, Mod Podge & salt to make these in under an hour. :)
white christmas mason jar luminaries, christmas decorations, crafts, decoupage, electrical, lighting, mason jars, seasonal holiday decor, These mason jar luminaries are so easy You probably have almost all the supplies on hand to make these already too
These mason jar luminaries are so easy! You probably have almost all the supplies on hand to make these already, too!
white christmas mason jar luminaries, christmas decorations, crafts, decoupage, electrical, lighting, mason jars, seasonal holiday decor, You ll need mason jars Mod Podge silver glass paint foam brushes stencils tea lights ribbon salt
You'll need mason jars, Mod Podge, silver glass paint, foam brushes, stencils, tea lights, ribbon & salt.
white christmas mason jar luminaries, christmas decorations, crafts, decoupage, electrical, lighting, mason jars, seasonal holiday decor, This step is totally optional but the snowflakes do add a pretty touch I used some Martha Stewart glass paint snowflake stencils to stencil my jars
This step is totally optional but the snowflakes do add a pretty touch. :) I used some Martha Stewart glass paint snowflake stencils to stencil my jars.
white christmas mason jar luminaries, christmas decorations, crafts, decoupage, electrical, lighting, mason jars, seasonal holiday decor, After the paint dried I coated my mason jar with Mod Podge Then I just sprinkled salt on my jar
After the paint dried, I coated my mason jar with Mod Podge. Then I just sprinkled salt on my jar.
white christmas mason jar luminaries, christmas decorations, crafts, decoupage, electrical, lighting, mason jars, seasonal holiday decor, The salt sticks right to the Mod Podge and it looks so pretty
The salt sticks right to the Mod Podge, and it looks so pretty!
white christmas mason jar luminaries, christmas decorations, crafts, decoupage, electrical, lighting, mason jars, seasonal holiday decor, I love how they turned out
I love how they turned out!
white christmas mason jar luminaries, christmas decorations, crafts, decoupage, electrical, lighting, mason jars, seasonal holiday decor, They would make a great centerpiece on a holiday table or even decoration for a winter wedding
They would make a great centerpiece on a holiday table or even decoration for a winter wedding.
Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

• Sandi Baca Baskin

Is that $10 per jar?

• Dana Corby

@Sandi Baca Baskin I'm not the OP but as a crafter (and former crafts-supplies seller) I can confidently tell you that she's talking about the cost of doing several jars, at least. $10 is on the low side but not by much. A small jar of Mod-Podge would cover about a dozen jars for about $4, the salt, $1 - $2, and the paint, $2. The ribbon might be a bit expensive unless you got it at the dollar store. (Have you seen the price of ribbon lately? Sheesh!) But I don't think the stencil could be included in that $10 -- maybe she already had it on hand. If it's a bit pricey there's no reason you couldn't use the pictures here as a guide and do the snowflakes freehand -- if they came out a little ragged you could use raffia instead of ribbon for the bows and call it Rustic. ;)

• Anne Alexander

I thought this would be a really neat idea and really cheap... I have the supplies on hand but looking for the stencils...where did you purchase them...?

• Tonya Yoder Adams

@Anne Alexander If you have a Michael's near you, they have them. Otherwise you may want to just call in and check various craft stores near you to see if they have the Martha Stewart glass paint stencils. Good luck!

• Anne Alexander

Where did you purchase the snowflake stencil? love the luminaries....

• Cindy jones

what kind of stencil do you use for the snowflake

• Lynne

my salt does not stay on, just goes patchy any help please

• Nan

@Lynne Your glass must be totally clean without any fingerprint oils left on it. Where you have left oils on the glass, nothing will stick to it. I use rubber gloves, wipe the glass completely with alcohol on a cotton swab, allow to dry and then start with the glue and salt. Hope this helps!!

• RUTH M

Would Epsom Salts work as well??

• Charlie Malone

@RUTH M For anyone using the Epsom salts, there is a HUGE Health risk as it is Extremely dangerous to anyone with Diabetes. It can actually kill a diabetic. Even the dust is highly dangerous. My Grandmother had a very good friend that used Epsom salts and it killed her. Her friend was a diabetic as well. When my Gramma asked her doctor about it he said yes it could kill her. My Grandfather got rid of the box she had immediately. Every person in my family that has had Diabetes asked their doctors and I even asked my sons doctors and they all confirmed it is dangerous to people with Diabetes. You can buy white sand at almost any major crafting store which would work for anyone that should NOT be around Epsom salts.

• Theresa

Yes works well :)

• Kimberley Mouser

Epson salt is extremely toxic to cats ( We all know that kittens and cats get into everything) all it takes is for your kitt/cat to rub againts it thereby getting it on there fur then they clean them selfs enabling the epson salt to enter there bloodstream it will shut down there kidneys (within a few hours ) within 24 to 48 hours the rest of their organs fail. This is a very cruel and painful way for your pet to suffer and endure until death. SO PLEASE THINK ABOUT ANY ANIMALS YOU HAVE when getting crafty

• Bre2055725

does the salt stay on .... is it possible to put the salt on the inside

• Sara

Is the Modge Podge on the inside or outside of the bottle? And if it is on the inside, what happens to the salt? (translated from Spanish)visesta manualidaad varias veces en otras paginas, pero nadie explica si el modge va por dentro o fuera del frasco, si va por interior que sucede con la sal?' Help please

• Martha Hinkle

These are so pretty!! I'm just wondering how long the salt will stick to the jar; it seems like it would flake off after handling and/or packing away for next Christmas. Is this something you would have to reapply every year?

• Debbie Messmer

The general consensus is if you top coat with Mod Podge or a clear sealant, they will likely last several years if handled and packed with care.

• Helen Cannon

Can. You. Color your salt?

• Judy L. Hays

On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being the least difficult, what would you rate this project? Thank you!

• Martha Hinkle

These mason jar candles are so pretty!! I'm just wondering how long the salt will stick to the jar; it seems like it would flake off after handling and/or packing away for next Christmas. Is this something you would have to reapply every year?

• Mary sams

How to built a glass enclosed cabinet over a window?

• Jerome

Car you add food color to Modge Podge to have different colored jars?

• Geri Ann

I would add it to the salt.

• Christi Littlefield

Yes you can add it to the Mod Podge, that way your salt will remain clear crystal that way for the frosty effect.

• Barbara Jacoboni

Do the stencils go on the inside of the jar or outside?

• Marianne Bailey

does the salt melt when the candle is hot? I used epsom salts and the salt melted off the glass jars

• Keegan Cochran

You can use battery operated tea lights instead of real ones.

• Marianne Bailey

maybe it was the moisture in the room. I was using the low heat led lights. it seemed like the jars never dried.. not sure. thanks for your answer

• Becky Charbonneau

Epsom salt is not actual salt. It contains no sodium and you can't eat it. That could be why it melted. I don't know for sure though. Edit: I looked into it more and couldn't find examples of it melting, but I did find that when the salt is exposed to air it will turn white, so these are "temporary" crafts. ???

• Linda

I've used diamond dust glitter 2 years ago and mine still look great

• Linda

This is Kosher salt--it's like coarse table salt. I'm not sure if Epsom salts would work.

• Stacy Humphrey

2 things...One, EVERY SINGLE TIME Ive tried to paint glass, it just smears around the glass. Yes....i DO use multi-surface paint and YES it says for glass on the bottme. Still...slides all around and neber sticks. Any hints? Okay, and 2...did you put salt all over the jar, or just around the top rim? Thank you!!!!

• Sherri

You can clean jars with alcohol first. And or you can put a clear finish on jar first and let dry before you use color.

• Elizabeth

Where to you get the Martha Stewart snowflake stencil.

• Toni

Amazon has a full inventory of snowflake stencils.

• Dl.5660408

Love the look. Do you seal the jars with anything ?

• Gail Morey

Rust Oleum makes a 2X clear gloss glaze and a triple thick glaze that makes things look like glass. Used the triple thick on some decoupage tiles I did. It's fantastic!

• Dl.5660408

Thanks! I'm going to try it

• Sca12263547

Does the salt and Modge Podge go on the outside?

• Donna Ellis-Jones

What is MOD PODGE and where do u buy it please

• Kwe13567432

Can you still write on the outside of the jar with the salt and mod podge

• Heather

I live in Canada, where can I purchase the snowflake stencils. Thanks.

• Stephanie Parker

Any craft store should have them

• Wendy

Michaels carries Martha Stewart stencils. 😊

• Kim

Thank-you Wendy, love these....easy & so pretty! YAY my City in Ontario has a Michaels!!!

• Sandra Johnson

How do u get the stencil on

• Marybeth Masker

Tape around edges of stencil with painter's tape. Be sure tape doesn't cover any of the stencil's holes.

• Gwen Kaufman Stone Gentry

What is the difference between regular glue and Mod Podge?

• Spu12559974

There are so many different kinds of Mod Podge. Which kind do I use?

• Linda

am curious can the jar be washed and cleaned at all?

• Judy D. Janes

After the project? Probably not unless you want to remove all of the paint, salt and glue.
  • Pam Arnold

Simply elegant. Does the stencil show through the salt ok or only when the candle is on?

• Ann Beck

I’m just trying to save this and can’t Figure it out. Help?!
    • Anjelah

click on the heart at the bottom f the post that states “I wanna try this” and it saves it to ur favorites
    • Jze24421710

Is the snowflake stencil on the inside of jar or outside????
  • Jze24421710

Love the look, but is stencil on inside or outside of jar????
    • Img8799216

Undoubtedly outside since she used glass paint. The Mod Podge will not affect it (glass paint) once the paint dries.
  • Bjc10511997

What keeps the salt from covering up the stencil?
    • Jan Donaldson

Probably the fact that it's just a fine dusting, making it translucent
    • Diane

The salt is on the inside of the Mason jar not on the outside where she painted on the stencil.

• Where can we find the snowflake stencils?

• Karen Meindl Mason

Love this! I will definitely save for next Christmas for teachers presents. But not sure about the salt... will it stain furniture or hold up to being stored in a hot attic all summer when decorations are put away? What about using that fake snow?

• Lisarae

yes i am going to do wit dollar tree stickers in a christmas theme and mod podge over then salt or colored san or salt, spray dealer and a tea light. thanks for the inspiration