Kimberly
Kimberly
  • Coraopolis, PA

DIY Weekend Sandbox

A fairly inexpensive project (sand was the most) and it took us about a day to complete the box itself. I did make some slight modifications to the 'pin'. Had I followed the 'pin' to a T, it would have taken me longer- say 2 full days. We choose not to paint or add a wooden base to our 6'x6' sandbox. If you're looking for a good weekend project, I'd advise to build a sandbox. Not only does it make your house the 'place to be' but it occupies the kids when you need to do other outside work.
diy weekend sandbox, diy, outdoor living
Layout the basic frame on a flat surface such as a garage floor.
Butt the wood sides next to each other and screw them into a metal corner bracket.  Do this for all 4 sides.
Butt the wood sides next to each other and screw them into a metal corner bracket. Do this for all 4 sides.
Measure out lengths of the weed netting and staple gun it to the base.  I went horizontal once (took 3 sheets) and then vertical (also 3 sheets) so there was a nice base.  The grass underneath should die and weeds should never come up.
Measure out lengths of the weed netting and staple gun it to the base. I went horizontal once (took 3 sheets) and then vertical (also 3 sheets) so there was a nice base. The grass underneath should die and weeds should never come up.
Fill the sandbox with loads of sand.  Our 6'x6' sandbox took 45- 50lb bags of sand.  We choose to use the sandbox sand that was cleaned and sifted which helped reduce the amount of dust.  You can also spray the sand with water before t
Fill the sandbox with loads of sand. Our 6'x6' sandbox took 45- 50lb bags of sand. We choose to use the sandbox sand that was cleaned and sifted which helped reduce the amount of dust. You can also spray the sand with water before t
Kimberly

• Jbruhnoriginals

Why not also add a canopy that you can lower at night, so cats do not use it as their sand box?

• Margie Spenser

Isn’t 45 bags of sand awfully expensive?

• Les8353481

I built on for my grandson and depending on whether you use brown sand or white sand. I wanted my grandson to really enjoy it, like being at the beach. Ugh, it cost me around $90.00.... Brown sand would likely have been less than half as much.

• Ginger Lent Osann

I want my husband to make one for our dog (Lab) to do something with the (play) sand bags we used for Super-storm Sandy. I hope it will keep her digging to one area