DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

Entry Hall Table Makeover

$25

This is our very first refinishing project. We took a sad little entry hall table and made her beautiful again.

My honey was in a new resale shop in our neighboring town and happened upon this diamond in the rough. He paid $50 for her.
entry hall table makeover
We just assumed it was a dining room table when my honey brought it home and never knew it was an entry hall or foyer table until the day we actually placed the two pieces together.  She was a shorty!  It was in 2 pieces at the resale shop and it stayed in pieces for many weeks while we worked on it.  We were a bit bummed it wasn't a dining room table, but we carried on anyways.
entry hall table makeover
I decided on a very dark top and a lighter base color.  The pretty wood grain just popped with all its beauty when I added the stain.  I used Minwax Dark Walnut 2716 stain and Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Satin (4 coats) to make sure it has a very long life.
entry hall table makeover
The bottom was first primed with Zinsser Primer Ultimate Stain Blocker, excellent for blocking previously stained surfaces. No sanding required, just add the primer and then paint.  For painting we used a small amount of a gallon of Valspar $5 bargain paint from Lowe's in a mushroom color and then antiqued it with an almost black antiquing glaze by Valspar in the color of Asphaltum We sealed the painted parts with Valspar Clear Protector for faux finishes.
entry hall table makeover
You can still see it's cracks and years of wear, but I think it gives the vintage table character. I love it! The only sanding we did was on the top. We love the roughed up look.  We bought 4 new casters for her. They started out a gold tone finish but we ORB'ed them and they looked wonderful and looked like they came with the table.  The center shot shows how the wood grain catches the antiquing.  The 3rd picture is the after top in the natural sunlight. Pure BEAUTY! :)
entry hall table makeover
Lovely isn't she? I wanted to keep her but that was not what we had planned so she now lives with a new family.

More details and pictures on our blog right here.

Thanks so looking!
DeeDee

• DeeDee

Oh how cool @Pamela Willison! I hope you share your finished table when you're done! :)

• Teresa

It's great job as far as I can see! Amazingly beautiful! I would have loved to have seen a before picture! Great Job!

• DeeDee

@Teresa Rolen Thank you! The before picture is the very last picture in the post.