Patrick F
Patrick F
  • Cary, NC
Asked on Nov 19, 2012

Sun vs Shade

Douglas Hunt360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I purchased a "soft caress mahonia" that has light requirements of shade to dappled sun. My Q.s are: (1) When plants have a shade requirement, is that primarily for the hot summer season? And, now that we have entered the cooler mid-fall period, the leaves have fallen creating a greater area of sun exposure. (2) Will shade loving plants like these be OK with the sun positioned at a lower angle and the temps being cooler?
Thanks, Patrick
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It should be ok Patrick. The Mahonia will be fine in the colder winter months with more sun, as long as come late spring they are back in the shade again.

I agree. And I would add that, in most parts of the country, plants will take more sun and often do better with a little more sun than labels suggest. On the other hand, in the deep south, things often do better with a little more shade than the label says.