Sue@CountryDesignHome
Sue@CountryDesignHome
  • Wakefield, MA

Vintage French Toile Inspired Kitchen Commode

Using vintage toile wallpaper as inspiration, I painted and stenciled an old dingy commode and created a French Inspired Kitchen Beauty- perfect for any French Patisserie!
vintage french toile inspired kitchen commode, decoupage, how to, painted furniture
The finished commode is painted in two shades of Benjamin Moore Saffron and Benjamin Moore Putnam Ivory in a matte finish.
This is the cupboard before. Dirty, splattered with blue paint, cracked doors and drawers and a broken drawer pull and wheels. Definitely had seen better days. It required some cleaning, sanding and glueing to prepare it for painting and stenciling. For the complete DIY tutorial, please check out my blog at Country Design Home. http://countrydesignhome.com/2015/01/28/vintage-french-toile-commode-diy/
The rooster wallpaper was the inspiration for the color scheme, but the beautiful brass hardware was original to the piece. One pull was broken and beyond repair, so I replaced it with a similar but different one. They still blend nicely because they are the same size and patina.
I painted the entire piece with Benjamin Moore Saffron, then dry brushed a second coat in Benjamin Moore Putnam Ivory to lighten and give the wood more dimension. The entire piece was then finished with Americana Creme Wax to give it a protective, glowing finish.
I used Glue-All by Elmers to affix the wallpaper to the door panel, since the paper was not pre-pasted.
Once the piece was put back together, I stenciled the top with several different French Typography stencils from Americana Decor that I have picked up at Michaels. For the full tutorial and helpful DIY tips, please visit my blog, Country Design Home at http://countrydesignhome.com/2015/01/28/vintage-french-toile-commode-diy/

Sue@CountryDesignHome