Peace Painting Co., Inc.
Peace Painting Co., Inc.
  • Alpharetta, GA

Priming sheetrock.

Priming sheetrock walls? Here's some tips to help you knock it out.

--If the walls are previously unpainted, use a primer made specifically for drywall. If they have been painted before, then an all purpose primer will do. And paint stores are happy to tint the primer in the direction of the finish coat color to help with coverage. BTW, any caulking is done after priming.

--The most common mistake
That drywall is thirsty.
Photo ©iStockphoto.com
That drywall is thirsty. Photo ©iStockphoto.com
Dunk that roller.  When using alot of paint, a 5 gallon bucket works better than a roller pan.
Photo ©iStockphoto.com
Dunk that roller. When using alot of paint, a 5 gallon bucket works better than a roller pan. Photo ©iStockphoto.com
You will work faster and tidier with a good brush and roller. 
Photo from Purdy.com
You will work faster and tidier with a good brush and roller. Photo from Purdy.com
Completely rinse out your tools of all residual paint and they will last for years.
Photo ©iStockphoto.com
Completely rinse out your tools of all residual paint and they will last for years. Photo ©iStockphoto.com
With a first pass, distribute the material over the 'one dip' coverage area, filling in most everywhere.
Follow immediately with a second pass, evening it out.
Photo ©iStockphoto.com
With a first pass, distribute the material over the 'one dip' coverage area, filling in most everywhere. Follow immediately with a second pass, evening it out. Photo ©iStockphoto.com

• Kristy B

Prime before patching? Does it really help to find those divots and other blemishes on old surfaces? I always hate stepping back to admire my finished work and then noticing something I missed that should have been take care of at the beginning of the project!

• Diana Deiley

I prefer to patch, sand, clean, prime then paint. I too have the primer tinted to match the wall paint color which tremendously helps in avoiding those holidays we all hate. I've seen so many unwanted "spots" on newly painted walls due to improper prep work so I believe in doing it right the first time to save myself a headache later on. But it's all worth the "after" .