CAROL H
CAROL H
  • Harlem, GA
Asked on Nov 21, 2012

How can I get rid of ants in potting mix in my greenhouse?

Douglas HuntCAROL H

Ants have taken over my potting mix. I bought a bag of diatomaceous earth at Lowe's but it doesn't say anything on the bag about being safe to use on or around food crops. Is it safe to use when starting vegetable/herb seeds? If not, are there any suggestions for getting rid of the ants.

Carol, there is "food grade" diatomaceous earth, which would be perfectly safe to use with vegetable and herb seeds. If you put your potting mix in a heavy grade clear plastic bag and leave it in the the sun for a week or two, you will "solarize" the soil and, I'm pretty sure, solve your ant problem in the process.

• CAROL H

Thanks Douglas! I will have to go to a nursery to get the food grade d.e. I have 2 cubic feet of potting mix, so it would take some time to place in bags and set in the sun, but that is a good idea. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!!

And to you and yours, Carol.