Alex
Alex
  • Orlando, FL
Asked on Nov 23, 2012

Hi! Found these mounds this morning. Any idea who or what made them AND should we be concerned? As always, many thanks.

JoanStephanie LawrenceTJB-INC Landscape Contractor
+8

hi found these mounds this morning any idea who or what made them and should we be, pest control
  • KMS Woodworks

In my neck of the woods those would be from a mole ,chipmunk or squirrel. The like to dig under things. In your neck of the woods it could also be from some type of reptile.

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

They look kinda like fire ant mounds to me...kinda scratch it up with a stick....don't stand too close....if it's fire ants...they'll come out by the hundreds....better get them killed if it is!

• Alex

KMS and Tammy: Thanks for your posts. I scratched up one of the mounds.....Nobody home, just the dirt. Went to the back yard and found a few more mounds through the lawn (not as high). They look like there was some burrowing being done. Guess I'll keep an eye on the mounds.

• Terri Brodfuehrer

they look like mole mounds, or perhaps gopher. Google them to see what their mounds look like. Either one will be a bit of a pain to get rid of. Your local agricultural dept will be able to give you helpful ideas on trapping, or whatever lengths you would like to go to, to rid yourself of them. They can destroy property in no time. good luck!

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

WHEW....I super glad they weren't fire ants! They are extremely difficult to get rid of...and pretty mean. I've never seen this happen....but I've even heard stories of them killing livestock because of the multitude of bites at once. I have seen them do substantial damage to friends' and family members legs at times though....not nice. Moles are much more pleasant to deal with.

• Jeanette S

We have chipmunks bad! For years there were just holes, now we are seeing these piles of dirt too! I don't know what the change is.

I'm suspecting moles.

• Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls

Could be moles or another animal called voles. They are tunneling looking for grubs. Get rid of their food source(grubs) and they should move on(maybe to your neighbors yard jeje).

• That is the poop of the elusive Russian Super Worm!

• Stephanie Lawrence

They look like my mole holes. I got a solar beeper. It looks like a solar garden light but it beeps instead of lights. It irritates the moles so they move somewhere else. Mine came from Fred Meyer (a Kroger store). They moved away until a hosta grew over the solar top. Back they came. Moved the unit back into the sun and away they went...Good Luck

• Joan

Moles/voles are blind, so when he got to the sidewalk he couldn't go any further, but kept on digging.....thus building a pile of dirt......(one woman's opinion) lol