Amanda
Amanda
  • Franklin, TX
Asked on Nov 24, 2012

is it possible to have a tile shower in a mobile home?

ChitraHotheadzmarine.williamsonDoris Bishop
+23

I want to re-do our whole master bathroom and our guest bath. I want to rip out the tub in the master bath and add a tiled shower....I have a seperate shower and tub already but I am wondering if a tile shower would weigh to much to be in a mobile home. Also, our guest bath is tiny and has NO window in it so it seems dark and really small. How hard would it be to add a window?
  • Originals by Rhonda

Hello Amanda. You surely can have a tile shower in your mobile home as long as the floors and walls are solid and free of damage. Depending on the makeup of your walls you may need to have them framed in the area for shower with 2x4's and be sure you have someone who knows what they are doing and you should be very happy. Installing a window is a different story depending on the anatomy of your home. The inside and outside walls will most likely need removed in this specific area to do the appropriate framing. Good Luck! :)) Rhonda

• Jeanette S

We had a window enlarged vertically in our house last year and it was a very difficult decision to make. I am not sure I could decide to do that horizontally since that would entail a lot more risk...as would adding a new window. I would make sure you select someone who has experience working on mobile home construction since they have totally different specs than a house. Also, you might want to think about a "porthole" if light is all you are after. Check with a mobile home dealer and also with the manufacturer of your unit. You should be able to get good input from your manufactuer.

• Amanda

Thank you ladies!!! Its a Palm Harbor home. I am excited to shop for shower tiles now!!!

• All very good answers. @Amanda when you say mobile home, do you mean modular home? If modular and recently built; then your house should have standard 2x4 structure. The subfloor may require extra bracing to support the additional weight of the durock and tile. As for the window, if modular home; then the same applies and your carpenter would need to open the wall up and reframe the window opening and then close up the interior and exterior walls properly after the new window is installed. You can do a search on Hometalk for a qualified carpenter, tile installer or remodeler in your area. Then check references and go see the work performed so you know the quality you should expect.

• Amanda

AWESOME! Thank you so much! Its not a modular home though =( Its a 2006 Trailer home. It needed a lot of TLC when we first got it.

• Amanda, sure you can do both of these projects, as AK stated, just be sure to reinforce the floor structure and properly cut and seal the window when opening the wall. Both of these types of projects are done all the time in both trailers and modular homes.

• Wayne Filer

You can have a tile floor in a mobile home, however your structure must be sound and reinforced apporpriately. Also, be sure that your tile is standard thickness, roughly 1/4 inch. The thicker the tile, the more it will weigh.

• Sue Felan

I've built a nice, big walk in shower in my mobile home. Was quite the project, but well worth all the work involved.

• Kerry

When you say structure are you talking about the subflooring? Or the structure under the mobile home?

• Gloria L

Our friends had no window in their small second bathroom which had no access to an outside wall. So, of course it was pitch black in there until you turned on the light. They put in one of those tube skylights in the roof and during the day it looks like there is always a light on. Was a very reasonable price, too.

• Stephen Watkins

The good thing about the SolaTubes is they make a fixture to go inside of it that holds a bulb so that you can turn it on at night and looks like it does during the day. The best part about them is they just look like a surface mount can light and there is very minimal ceiling and roof modification and penetration. Overall a great product.
  • DB47

I wouldn't put tile in a mobile home unless I was sure it wasn't ever going to be moved. Same with drywall for that matter.

• Denise

If you are not planning on moving, or can sell it where you are, you will have to reinforce the subfloor. Check with a contractor to see how thick it would need to be. I want to do this to my parent's master bath. It would involve tearing out an unused jacuzzi tub (my dad is in late 70s). I thought a very nice tile shower with glass doors, and niched product shelving, bench seat, 6 jets and a handheld showerhead would go great in that spot. They currently have a 3x3x6 or 6-1/2ft tal shower I would tear out and use as linen closet.To accomodate all of that, the floor would have to be reinforced. Now, if I could talk him into it...!

• Swampsmurf

Hello ! I would like to do the same , but not sure how to reinforce the floor ? I'm thinking about putting concrete floor in , then tiling it . is there a book or videos on how this is done ? my e mail davmirfie@aol.com Thank you for your time !!
  • Susan C

We rebuilt my husbands bath into a walk in shower. Reinforced the flooring and the walls, then shaved down the shower area.

, shower area, back of shower area
  • Shirley

We had a contractor do this, but it is a double mobile. Seemed to be no problem. They made the bath into a shower and the old shower into a linen closet. Tile on the floor and shower walls. The lavs and toilet etc are as they were prior.

, Old garden tube and old floor I painted the old vinyl to hid imperfections, This is the linen closet where the old shower was New tile on floor, New shower nearly complete Glass surround and door added a little later It s wonderful and very roomy
  • Peg

Some months ago I saw a trailer that was all done over ,it was georgeous . Try Googling it!

• Doris Bishop

replacing shower stall in mobile home
  • Hotheadzmarine.williamson

There's absolutely no reason that you could not I would definitely support the floor and make sure you maintain that you're home stays level because that can cause you cracking and problems later
  • Chitra

I want to have ceramic tile installed as a back splash in the kitchen over the mobile home vinyl walls. Do we need to use bonding primer over the walls before installing the tiles?