Beth @ MaryBethsPlace
Beth @ MaryBethsPlace
  • Seal Beach, CA

A Week of Prep Turned Into This!

Preparation can be the most important step in a painting project. I'm sharing the steps (and the number of days!) involved in repurposing this vintage china cabinet and its amazing transformation!
repainted vintage hutch, how to, painted furniture
The "before" stage was pretty from a distance, but on closer inspection, there were numerous problems! The previous paint job had to be stripped - which was a huge undertaking! Also, chipped veneer, loose dovetail joints, missing hardware, and scratched glass issues all had to be rectified.
The drawers were the easiest part to prepare. Here it is after day one! I was playing around with hardware options when I took this photo...
The next few days were a little bit of a blur...stripping and sanding....and using a little wire brush to clean out all of the little crevices that were originally globbed with paint!
The end is near! Patching the chipped veneer and final sanding! In the meantime, I was approached for a custom job and I was thrilled with my client's vision for this piece! Sample paint color and hardware options were sent to her for approval.
My client loved the fabric backing I had used on a previous piece. We decided to leave the inside natural as it complemented the lovely mocha color in the pattern. I used General Finishes "Lamp Black" for the paint.
Gorgeous new hardware from Hobby Lobby!
All of the effort paid off..with a smooth, sleek finish!
This was truly a labor of love! Just proving that preparation can be so important when refinishing furniture!
Beth @ MaryBethsPlace

• Elizabeth

Where did you use the "Lamp Black"? It looks blue.

• Cheryl

Its on my list as a must do. You piece turned out beautiful. Do you flip it and if so, what is the sale price?