Linda L
Linda L
  • Apex, NC

Laying plywood floors

We ripped up our old stained carpet and cut and laid plywood strips. Then we stained and polyurethaned it. We absolutely love it!!
Beginning to lay the plywood planks.
Beginning to lay the plywood planks.
We glued then nailed each board down.
We glued then nailed each board down.
laying plywood floors, flooring, woodworking projects
Here's the family with all the wood laid.
Staining with Minwax Red Mahogany stain.
The floors are all stained.
The floors are all stained.
The floors with six coats of polyurethane.
Added shoe molding all the way around the room.
It took 4 hours to cut 12 boards into 132 strips. If you'd like to read more about our project please visit www.lindahomeiswheremyheartis.com
Linda L

• Jennifer Moore

Couldn't you just lay the whole sheets of plywood instead of cutting boards?

• You certainly could but we wanted the new floor to look like the rest of our wood flooring with the strips. Also if you did the whole plywood sheet you'd have weird seams everywhere.

• Queenie Doss

you lay full sheets if you are installing sub floor ,thats the floor you lay before your main flooring tile ,laminate etc ,she was going for a tongue and groove hardwood flooring look at a fraction of what the real deal would have cost ,I must add they did an excellent job ,hmmmm ,thinking about doing my own like this

• Rho6053385

I absolutely love this! Y'all did a fantastic job! I'm wanting to do our three bedrooms. Just wondering is there a specific reason why you put six coats of polyurethane instead of only maybe two or three?

• Anne LiLi

total cost of this project?
  • Mes22111368

How did you gap the planks? Did you but them up against each other or keep them gapped with a quarter or something. How are they holding up? and has any buckling occurred?