Chris
Chris
  • La Mesa, CA

Olive Jar Gets Repurposed

My sister was going to toss this olive jar in the trash after our holiday dinner, but I grabbed it and just knew I could do something special with it because of it's shape and the awesome little raised flowers on the sides.
olive jar gets repurposed to shabby chic vase, chalk paint, crafts, repurposing upcycling
After peeling off the labels and making sure there was no glue residue left on it, I gave it a good scrub with soapy water and then dried it.
I spray painted one coat of bronze paint on it first. I did this so when I distressed it, the detail would show up better than if I left it the clear glass color.
I then painted two coats of cream colored chalk paint on the jar, let it dry for about a half hour and lightly sanded it so the detail would show up. I wrapped the top of the jar with dark brown yarn, then added the some trinkets on a leather shoelace I had and used a length of chain to hang the key on.
Add some flowers and, voila, a shabby chic vase
And it goes great with this clock I found on the discount table at my local Marshall's store.

• Nn

What brand of pickles come in that lovely jar?

• Chris

Not pickles, but olives come in this jar. It was purchased at Costco during the Christmas holidays. They only sell the olives in this particular jar at Christmas, it's a seasonal thing. The brand is Tassos.

• Jackie Brown

Hi with the chalk paint do you have to set it or top coat to stop it scraping off, thanks

• Chris

You can finish the chalk paint with a coat of soft wax which helps preserve the paint. I use Annie Sloan soft wax.

• Vicki Harrison

I love the olive jar.. But my attention is also on the clock!.. did you make it also?.. and if so is it posted? thank you...