Tracy W
Tracy W
  • Orland Park, IL

Spa Blue Bathroom Makeover On a Budget...

The bathroom was totally 1980's done in mauve and taupe. I wish I had taken BEFORE pictures before I started to tear down the wallpaper but these are the best I've got. I removed the wallpaper and gutted the room to the studs. Most of the items were collected over a two year period and I was able to do this bathroom under budget. The faucets were my best find - Groehe Kensington with Swarovski handles - found sitting on a clearance table at a plumbing supply house - YAY ME! :-) I also found the PERFECT mirror at a re-sale shop and could not believe how well it worked out. Found the vanity at HomeGoods of all places and got it for under $300 with the undermount sink and granite top. I love the way it turned out and love it even more since I was able to do it with a little bit of money left in the bank. Always a good thing!
Here are my faucets which I LOVE.  I feel like a princess every time I wash my hands.  LOL
Here are my faucets which I LOVE. I feel like a princess every time I wash my hands. LOL
Here is the mirror from a resale shop and I love it.  Perfect size, color and price!  Continue the white subway tile from the bathtub onto the wall behind the vanity and a small line of glass accent tile.
Here is the mirror from a resale shop and I love it. Perfect size, color and price! Continue the white subway tile from the bathtub onto the wall behind the vanity and a small line of glass accent tile.
I used white subway tile with a small band of glass mosaic tile and two niches.  The lower niche was placed off center and low so it can be reached when taking a bath and it works wonderfully!
I used white subway tile with a small band of glass mosaic tile and two niches. The lower niche was placed off center and low so it can be reached when taking a bath and it works wonderfully!
The BEFORE area behind the door.  CROSCILL wallpaper was all the rage in the 1990s.  :-)  The two mini crystal chandeliers were so amazing that I spray painted them black and converted them to pendants over my island in the kitchen.
The BEFORE area behind the door. CROSCILL wallpaper was all the rage in the 1990s. :-) The two mini crystal chandeliers were so amazing that I spray painted them black and converted them to pendants over my island in the kitchen.
The AFTER area behind the door.  I added a glass door with bamboo glass and a jewelry armoire which is recessed into the wall.  It provides a full length mirror and a place to keep all my jewelry organized.  I love it!
The AFTER area behind the door. I added a glass door with bamboo glass and a jewelry armoire which is recessed into the wall. It provides a full length mirror and a place to keep all my jewelry organized. I love it!
The 1970's tile which was taupe which matched the taupe toilet.  Yuck.
The 1970's tile which was taupe which matched the taupe toilet. Yuck.
Here is the new blue butterfly black granite tile floor with black grout.  Added arctic white baseboard and trim to complete the look.
Here is the new blue butterfly black granite tile floor with black grout. Added arctic white baseboard and trim to complete the look.

• JuliaGulia

Why did you rip all the drywall out to the studs? Curious

• Tracy W

@Anex08 Removing the wallpaper left the walls in disrepair and since we were adding greenboard to the shower area, we decided to make it all new, fresh drywall.

• Michelle Lisica

What is the color of walls called?

• Tracy W

It is called Tranquil Pond from the Fresh Aire collection from HomeDepot. it is now discontinued but if you ask they can match it. Good luck!

• Nan Schnabel

@Tracy W All 3 of my bathrooms are on interior walls with no windows. I've put skylights in to brighten it up a bit but, after the fact, I realized that glass doors would have probably been much cheaper and work as well. Next time I'll know better!

• Tracy W

Hi Nan. I had the same problem. The glass door does help but I would love a skylight too!

• Annette May Kiss

where did you get the faucets?

• Tracy W

@Annette May Kiss Hello. They are Groehe Kensington and I found them at a plumbing warehouse and then I bought the Swarovski handles on Ebay. Good luck.