Amber D
Amber D
Asked on Nov 26, 2012

Painting murals in the bottom of a pool; possible or not?

Sin775296Christopher RyanIggy Arts
+8

I have found pool paint and can tell that this is a delicate process. I have also seen very little of this happening in social media or on-line, so i can only assume it is not easy and possibly expensive....is there anyone out there who can help me understand how to make the most awesome murals in the bottom of pools?
  • Miriam I

Wow - what an interesting idea! I'm tagging someone who may know more about this: @Anita Roll Murals she's a very talented muralist!

• Anita Roll Murals

Amber this type of mural is not likely to last very long due to the wear and tear of being under water. It will break down and can possibly interfere with the filtering system. Even with the best sealers in time the sun will fade it. Mosaic tile is the best way to go.

• Anita Roll Murals

Amber I don't want to be a Debbie Downer! You can do it but just know it might not last. Use all the appropriate primer, paint and sealer pool products and give it a try. New products are out there that are more durable now. Your work is amazing and this project will be to I'm sure. It would be daunting for most people to tackle which is why you don't see many examples online.

• Yair Spolter

I don't know about paint, but I would imagine it can be done with mosaic tile. A great idea for a hotel pool, where guests get a birds-eye view. If you do try it, Amber, keep us updated!

q painting murals in the bottom of a pool possible or not, painting, pool designs, from
  • KMS Woodworks

Well the obvious problem will be working under water...LOL. This will need to be completed in the off season perhaps when the pool has been drained and mothballed, I think some type of clear epoxy top coat would provide the best protection once the art work is done.

• Given the chemicals involved in maintaining pool water quality, the types of surface materials, and, at least for public pools, health and safety codes and permit issues, you may want to be talk to some of your local area pool professionals. Check out the APSP.org (the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals). In public pools there is also a concern that you do not want to make a life guard's job harder in seeing swimmers (or more importantly, sinkers).

• We are pool and spa experts. I've never seen it, but it is an interesting idea. These days most pools are not painted, their finish is either fiberglass, vinyl plaster or pebble tech. Pool water has chemicals that can be corrosive which may make the durability difficult. I do know for sure that there are swimming pool paints, and the APSP is a good source for information.

• Amber D

I have seen some of this online. I am a muralist by trade and am not worried about how difficult it is i am more interested in seeing if It is possible. From what i can tell the paint only lasts up to about 5 years with underwater acrylics and epoxies can last up to 10 years, but are much more expensive and volitile to use. I have a friend who is going to repaint their pool anyhow, so this is my chance to try this. I think if it can work and be beautiful i may have a nother avenue that is much more appealing to a new audience for my painting skills. I have seen mosics, but I want to be able to create a realistic scene. i have seen killer wales and fish PAINTED on the bottom on google, but there are VERY few so if this works i think it is a great thing to add to the creative a custom list of things I can do. at this point my neighbor wants an octopus paintined in the bottom of the jaccuzi which I thought was a great idea....I thought consulting you guys was the best first choice! Im more concerned about using the correct products in the corect ways and seeing if there are limitations to the sealing process.....do they make a clear epoxy coating???

• Iggy Arts

hey amber any luck with the pool painting under water i have the same questions as you do , did you get the mural done ?

• Christopher Ryan

Mural Mate One Part Mural Paint for Swimming Pools

• Sin775296

My artist/grandfather built one of the 1st in-the-ground pools in Fairless Hills, PA back in the 50's. Each year, he would experiment with the cement paint colors available (light blue and dark green; light blue is sooo much better for a pool)! He painted murals most years, but he did paint it each year. I think they would've lasted longer than a year, but the pool cement would crack each winter...paint has come a long way since we helped him in the 80's! Good luck!