Restoring Cast Iron Pans

You Can Restore Old, Crusty Cast Iron Pans There’s nothing quite so beautiful as the blackened, shiny patina of a well-seasoned cast iron pan. There are a few specific rules in keeping your pans in pristine condition. If you do, they’ll reward you with good service for many, many years
restoring cast iron pans, cleaning tips, how to, kitchen design
I have collected cast iron pans from Estate and yard sales. I'm not put off by rusty, crusty appearances because I know, they can be restored.
This is the only time you should wash your cast iron with hot, soapy water - when you're preparing them to be cleaned.
place your cast iron in your oven on the 'clean' setting for two hours. The built up residue will cook off. Clean off with hot water and dry thoroughly.
I've decided to use the seasoning method that recommends Flaxseed Oil. The method recommends seasoning the pan in a hot oven for about an hour or two and to repeat this process a number of times. The Flaxseed Oil creates a polymerized bond with the cast iron pan.
The top three brands that collectors desire include - Griswold, Wagner and Erie. Lodge makes a very wonderful cast iron pan too.
The most common size in cast iron pan is the eight. The sizes can range from 0 to 20!
I love collecting and using cast iron pans. If cared for properly, they will reward you with good service for years to come.

Kathy R

• Sam

Hello so let me get this straight 1) wash cast iron pan in soapy water 2) place in over on clean cycle for 1h 3) wash again in soapy water 4) coat with oil is this method correct?

• Kathy R

Did you place your cast iron in the oven to bake off excess coating and residue? You may need to use steel wool to completely clean the pan before doing the process to recondition the pan.
  • Ann Powers Goetzman

Our home flooded and by the time we dug the pots out they were rusted Do I follow same rules for rusted

• Kathy R

Hello Ann. So sorry to hear this. Yes! You can still restore your cast iron pans if they're rusted. You'll want to wash them thoroughly to get all of the loose rust and debris you can! I've experienced a flood in our home before and I know how it is to go through the rooms to figure out what is salvageable. I hope all else is well! Let me know if you try it or need any further help!

• James smith

My mom did hers out side on dad's bbq pit bild a good fire coat cast iron with lard cook about a hour then put a big spoon full in the pot let them cook for a nother hour let cool wipe out with a clean towel

• Nellie

It works in gas barbecue . same time and washing.