Starched Fabric Wall

$100

I love the look of wallpaper, but I have major commitment issues. I had heard that starched fabric looks like wallpaper, but could easily be removed...
I bought a home decor, 100% cotton fabric for this project.
Here's my before. The large blank wall was screaming for attention.
My supplies: paint tray, sponge roller, liquid starch and a knife (I ended up using an x-acto knife instead of the one pictured).
I had to use small nails to hold the heavy fabric in place. This was the hardest part of the project.
Once the fabric is in place, everything gets a little easier.
And here's the after!
Here's where my commitment issues come into play. I decide to add paneled walls to the bathroom which required me to remove the fabric on the lower half. It was SO easy to remove and didn't do any damage to the walls! This treatment would work great for renters.
And here's the starched fabric wall paired with the new wall paneling. Want to see the full the tutorial for the starched fabric wall? Click on the link:

Sara @ sincerely, sara d.

• Ashley

I'd love to try this, but I'm curious if the fabric softener (instead of starch) method that someone else mentioned would work as well? I love the idea of the wall being "scented", and the starch concerns me a bit, as far as attracting bugs is concerned...Also, is this sort of like contact paper, but with fabric? I've seen alot of contact fabric lately, so I'm wondering if that would have the same effect....

• Sammi Ullom

What weight if fabric was used? Like something you’d make a shirt or quilt with or heavier like upholstery fabric?

• C

How would you seal this so it wasn't susceptible to moisture? I am concerned with using it in a bathroom, but yours looks beautiful!

• Sheri McCullah

When my husband was in the military and we were assigned govt quarters, this was a way to add color and style without being permanent. Thanks for sharing.

• Betty Sutton Smith

This is gorgeous!!! I love the paneling better !!!