Kim
Kim
  • Lansdale, PA
Asked on Nov 29, 2012

Looking for suggestions on how to clean an old formica tiled floor

CorkyKMS WoodworksWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+2

the basement floor is old, prob about 50+ yrs old so its worn but still in good condition. there is paint & other substances on it in places. is there something that could clean it? thanks!
  • I doubt it is Formica, but those old floors should be able to be buffed and waxed. You can rent machines that have scrubbing pads and solutions to remove the old wax films and build ups that have occurred over the years. Once clean you change over to a buffing pad and put down liquid wax to make it shine like new again. Any good rental center should be able to help you with the supplies and machines you need to use.

• Kim

Thanks so much! will the solutions & scrubbing pads take off the dried on paint too?

• They should. The pads used are a lot like the scrubbing pads you purchase to clean pots and pans with. Only a bit larger. There are real rough ones and ones that polish. The rental company should be able to assist you with the ones that not only will clean but remove those paint spots that your speaking about.

• KMS Woodworks

The "pads" for the big orbital machines follow the same basic rules as for the smaller sized kitchen ones. http://www.instawares.com/shopping-guides/Choosing-the-Right-Floor-Pad.asp I used the red and white in my floor refinishing...I use the red with my driving "brush" as a backer for my sanding screens. I use the white to buff out oil finishes.

• Corky

try tsp