Asked on Feb 5, 2015

Need ideas on what to put on maller bathroom walls

Pamela SandallTerri Rivers PelletierJaninne P
+8

Fixtures are gray, tile floor will be tan with multi colors of tan, vanity- I hope to repurpose an old dresser and the walls will be an sky blueish color....any ideas to cover the plugs and outlets over the washer & dryer? Thanks in advance
  • Christina

Three ideas for the washer and dryer: Build removeable box shelves that fit over the parts you want to cover. These could be as deep as you'd like to have. They should have a top, front and 2 sides and can just hang on L brackets so they can easily be moved to access the plumbing. Or just install a ready-made shelf with L shaped brackets to attach to the wall and attach a piece of cloth that covers the top of the shelf and drapes over the ugly parts behind the appliances. Or hang a curtain/or shower curtain behind the appliances. Instead of a tan floor I would use ceramic tiles that are a bluish grey slate-look. Porcelain tiles and the strongest and probably less expensive that slate. Slate would also be more upkeep. The blueish-gray tiles would tie into the wall color to provide a more cohesive, neat look. It would also make the space feel larger. The sink could be an accent color. You could use lighter versions of the sink color in fabric and trim paint. Hope these suggestions help. For the shelving area/closet, you build the left side of the wall around the heater and attach a door to that. Rather than use a bifold door which makes it hard to get to all parts of the closet and tend to come off the track, you could put in one door or make a french door with two narrow doors and handles in the middle. This type is especially good when you don't have space for a full door to open.

• Crg341889

In our (very) small bathroom we hung a framed old map, which looked great. But any framed art that you love would work.

• Rosalind

I would paint medium to large stripes (horizontal) on the wall behind the toilet, using colors that will compliment other colors in the room. You would first have to remove the flowers from the toilet seat. To keep the multiple shelves from view, try installing a ceiling to floor curtain using one of the colors from the stripes. I suggest the curtain rod should be no less than 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Try using Christina's ideas for the wall behind the washer and dryer. Good luck.

• Terri Rivers Pelletier

Thanks for the idea which I'll go with my husband. I always love views from other people for different ideas incase their ideas are better than mine. I was also going to get the baseboard covers to cover those eye-sore base boards!

• Pamela Sandall

A solid shelf, low over the top of the box and deep enough to cover the space behind the washer/dryer units would serve multiple purposes...it would visually camouflage the outlets while keeping them safe and accessible and would also provide you storage for laundry products. You could put your detergents into pretty canisters (bought some last night at Target!) and make a pretty vignette. You could also add a large art piece as mentioned above. Final benefit? No more socks falling behind the washer/dryer.

• Janinne P

This is different and I kind of like it.

, Does this idea appeal to you I d never seen anything like this before but I like it and have it pinned to my laundry room ideas So few online ideas for working with a top load washer
  • Terri Rivers Pelletier

I know an couple of people has suggested about hanging art work but I would be concern about the steam from the shower. Has anymore hung artwork or canvas in the bathroom and do they last? Thanks

• Pamela Sandall

Hi Terri - in answer to the artwork - I have several framed piece in our bathroom without incident but we also have excellent ventilation in there. My son's bathroom does not have great ventilation and there is a larged framed piece in there. four years - so far so good. I wouldn't suggest anything valuable, but if you were to head off to HomeGoods, I'd look for a canvas with an image that suits. Not expensive should it take on some moisture, but honestly shouldn't be a problem and would probably last well beyond your interest in the piece ;).