Coffee Table and Sofa Table refinish

We gave mom these tables when she moved into her new place. They blended in with the carpet and the table tops were worn out. I "stole" them while she was on vacation and gave them an update. She loved them! I used Minwax Gel Stain in mahogany.
Coffee table blonde finish. Nice, but blends with carpet.
Sad old finish just chipping away.
After sanding. Kinda pretty.
New finish. Minwax mahogany gel stain.
Love these legs.
Coffee table turned out so well I had to do the matching sofa table.
Sofa table finished.
Coffe table finished.

• Chekeetta

i have a coffee table kind of like this one just a little bit bigger, some of the paint has come off in spots, should i stripe it first , before i sand it it realy needs help

• Tonya Miller Dean

If you want enhance the woodgrain or stain the table, I would strip and sand down to the bare wood. If you're going to paint, just sand to smooth the surface. Hope this helps.

• Hya27145399

,Table top getting bad.
  • Cindy

Okay love the look but,...how did you really do it? I have a black sofa table with some nicks here and there and would love to see it in a espresso brown. What's the best way to proceed. Just lightly sand and mini wax it? sand it all the way down? Please advise

• Shirley

Wouldn't chalk paint be easier ? I've redone chairs with it a light sanding wipe off paint let dry then a wax coat very simple process

• Cynthia Cook

Love the after!!!1 The legs are the 1st thing I noticed about this table, even in the before shot...I have 2 great looking mid-50's I am going to work on..I am going to take your lead and sand them then gel stain...good winter project :) THANKS for posting,

• Cynthia Cook

It's me again...what did you do for the sanding portion??? I have My Mom's vanity when she was a girl, she is 93 now, and there is alot of scroll work on the legs of it....someone painted it orange..got to get that off. I noticed the legs on this table very detailed.Thanks.

• Tonya Miller Dean

@Cynthia Cook for the most part I was able to use an electric sander, but for the legs, I had to do it the old fashioned way, by hand and/or my Dremel. Have fun on your project.