Bernice H
Bernice H
  • Woodburn, OR
Asked on Nov 30, 2012

Can a touch lamp be painted and still be a touch lamp?

TammyWallsTreat Studio/ Kass WilsonWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+2

I have a brass touch lamp, 3 settings, if it is painted will it retain its touch-i-ness?
KMS Woodworks etc
  • 3po3

Hi Bernice, I unfortunately don't have a good answer for you. I Googled it and found conflicting testimonials from folks. Maybe you can paint a small spot on the back of the lamp and test the touch-ability. Ideally, you would even be able to remove the paint spot if needed.

• Steve G is correct on this. These lamps work by the grounding effect that occurs when you touch the metal surface. Unless you leave a small area untouched they most likely will not work by touch if painted.

• You may want to try putting on a latex glove and seeing if it will work. I know that touch screens will not work while I am wearing gloves. . . hence the reason I still have a dinosaur of a phone.

• Tammy

Hi Bernice.....Yes you can! I just finished painting my small, old brass touch lamp (with gass-insert shades) with a metallic brushed nickel paint and they work perfectly and look great! Go for it!

• Bernice H

@Tammy oh my I have forgotten about this post! obviously I have forgotten about my lamp too. ha, But this is good to know. This was quite a while ago. Thanks.