Marj MRC Creations
Marj MRC Creations
  • Canada

Complete Transformation of an Old Dresser

We had this dresser and hutch for a long time. It used to be my husband's when he was a teen, then it went into our oldest son's room. That son has moved out and I'm changing the room into a guest room and sewing space for myself. I've disliked this dresser for years so it was time to make a change! Chalk paint - here we come.
complete transformation of an old dresser, chalk paint, painted furniture
The dresser had some good wood features, but it also had a lot of laminate. The top and sides were laminate and most of the hutch was as well. I only wanted to keep the dresser part, though hubby did have to repair some pulls to make sure the drawers opened and closed more smoothly. As you can see, there were a lot of dings and dents in the dresser.
I decided to use a primer, even though I know that chalk paint doesn't require priming first. The top and sides of the dresser was a slick laminate and I didn't want to take a chance of anything going wrong.
Primed the drawers, too, while I was at it.
I used Crooked Label chalk paint, in Moonstone for most of the dresser, with the surrounding of the drawers in Crooked Label white.
The old hardware just wasn't looking too nice with the new colours, so I painted them with white chalk paint, two coats, then used a metallic rub to highlight. I then spray varnished them and loved how they turned out!
And here she is - like new! The colour Moonstone, by Crooked Label, is a green/blue/gray tone and I think it gives the dresser much charm.
I only did a light distressing here and there, mostly to help the drawer fronts pop and give them definition.

• Jean Myles

Marjorie I see you are a fellow Canadian and I was wondering where you bought the chalk paint? I don't live in a big city so knowing where I'm going to shop is a real time saver /

• Marj MRC Creations

Thank you for the lovely compliments, Jean! :) I saw a chalk paint demo while at our cottage in Nova Scotia and bought Crooked Label chalk paint from a vendor there. I live near Montreal and there are some others here, like Annie Sloan (very expensive!), Americana Decor and some at Michael's. I also make my own, using latex paibt snd Plaster of Paris. You can find some at amazon.ca too. I like the Folk Art brand. Hope that helps! :)

• Skshort

Ladies, try Country Chic paint. It's a Canadian company and I like their colors. Just ordered my first paints.

• Marj MRC Creations

I have a lot of paints in stock right now, but might just give this one a try one day. It looks great! Thx. :)

• Chr5303592

Is it necessary to finish with polyurethane? I want to refinish an old, smaller buffet with chalk paint but I wasn't sure if it required a sealant of any kind. It is similar in style to yours, which came out beautifully.

• Marj MRC Creations

Hi Chris. Thank you for the compliment. Not at all necessary. I finished this piece with beeswax. If it's something that won't get a lot of wear and tear, you can give it a coat or two of wax, or none at all. I have left pieces w/o waxing or varnishing. It will have a rougher feel to it and if left alone for a few weeks, it will cure enough to be resistant to scratches. That's been my experience. Good luck! I hope you'll share your process and results with us!