Lilacs that grow in zone 9

+4
Does anyone know of a Lilac that will grow in the humid climate of Zone 9.......aka Houston, TX??
  • Katrina Warren Katrina Warren on Feb 08, 2015
    I never found one that would grow in Fl. :/
  • Tamir DuCharme Tamir DuCharme on Feb 08, 2015
    I have never been able to find one that can take the heat of TX,I'm in Austin...and have tried several kinds in several locations. Good Luck!
  • 1240839 1240839 on Feb 09, 2015
    You could try a Persian lilac. They do well in the Tucson area.
  • Suzanne Farmer Suzanne Farmer on Feb 09, 2015
    Lilac need cold weather to set buds for blooms. While they don't mind some heat, they can not tolerate it for long term and do not like long summers with high humidity. There are some varieties that do well in the south, but their flowers will not be nearly as big as those grown up north.
  • Debbe Debbe on Feb 09, 2015
    We get way too hot here in H-town.Wish they would grow here love the smell.
  • Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on Feb 09, 2015
    Plant a vitex, which is sometimes known as the Texas lilac. You'll have blooms in summer, not spring, but for a much longer time on a much more attractive shrub. See my post here: http://www.hometalk.com/3771703/five-reasons-you-should-plant-a-vitex
  • Donna Elliott Donna Elliott on Feb 09, 2015
    The bearded iris should grow just fine. They are fairly prolific here in gardens on the Gulf coast of NW Florida. They stay in the ground year-round. You do not have to dig. The walking iris should also do well. I keep mine in pots because they can become invasive.