Diane
Diane
  • Canada

1950's Dining Set Makeover

This dining set was bought by my parents in the 60's and given to me about 15 years ago. I have always disliked the dark brown but didn't know what to do with it until I discovered chalk paint.

Buffet close up. I liked the hardware but the dark brown had to go.

Pink rug, green walls, brown furniture. Need I say More?

Started with changing the top of the wall color. Used white paint that I had on hand. Four coats of white were needed to cover the green. I could have probably bought new, better quality white paint and gotten away with 2 coats, but I wanted to use what I already had.

After 2 applications of chalk paint. I like to shop local, so I bought Reloved chalk paint. Color is called Storm. This paint goes a long way. I thin it down with water because I prefer three thin coats than 1 or 2 heavy coats. Personal preference here.

Top of the china cabinet. I did not want a solid color. White was the best color to offset the grey and give the cabinet a light, clean and airy feel.

Drawers were next. The white paint is also by Reloved. Color is called Cotton.

The doors were time consuming. After washing the hardware, I decided I would keep it. Small memento of what the piece was originally.

Cabinet. Waxed with clear wax.

Cabinet and hutch. Used clear wax only. The waxing was hard to do with so many small crevices.

The original chairs had cane backs and my mom had them reupholstered years ago. It's hard to find someone who will do cane chairs anymore and if you can it is ridiculously expensive. I had recovered the seats about 4 years ago with the black pleather.

I painted 2 of them in the grey and 4 in the white.

The 4 white chairs have the same fabric and the 2 grey chairs have been re-upholstered in a complimentary pattern. Love these after pictures of the chairs.

Project completed. Love the new, clean and airy feel to the room. Looks and feels bigger. Now all I have to do is remove the rug and replace it with a barn wood floor and I am done. Hopefully when spring comes around, I can finish this project. I've since added teal here in there to give it a splash of color. So I guess you're never really finished are you?

• Diana

Have refinished my table and chairs. Now I want to do the China cabinet, should they be the same colour or will it look ok to do it in a different colour? I also have a server to do.

• Diane

sorry, I just saw your message. Have you painted your China cabinet? Personal preference really. I painted mine all grey then decided it needed more. So I painted the white.

Hope this helps.

• Theresa

Did you strip the chairs or just use the chalk paint on them? I have a couple old chairs I’d like to do, but do not want to strip them down to bare wood first. Ugh.

Thank you. Your finished projects look fantastic.

• Diane

I didn’t strip. I clean them really well with TSP or dawn dish soap and water, rinse well and prime then paint.

• Bonnie

ok my plan is to do the same , but my hutch is veneer shiny from somewhere in the world, needless to say, with the chalk paint, do I have to sand paper it ? and are you putting a wax finish on top? any diyer please chime in...

• Brenda

I found after I had painted my dinning room furniture I put the wax recommended to finish the calk paint .

Later I need to touch up the top of table found needed to strip it down to bare wood U cant sand the wax off it just gums up the sanding paper

Much better to use a water base finishing top coat from a paint store

• Cynthia cleek

It looks beautiful ! Job well done

• Holley

Your projects are beautiful and inspiring! I have a couple pieces of rustic furniture that I no longer have use for. I have been unsuccessful in selling it for what I feel it’s worth! Seeing some of your beautiful DIY projects has inspired me to try this my self! Thank you! Your work is wonderful!

Holley from Phoenix