Terri J
Terri J
  • Annapolis, MD
Asked on Dec 4, 2012

What is the difference between formica and laminate counter tops? Which is better and can they both be painted to look

Terri JHamtil Construction LLCDee @ deeconstructed.com
+4

like granite, etc. I have formica, and am putting redoing the kitchen on the list for possible next big renovation...

Formica is one brand of laminate. Wilsonart is another. I believe the countertop transformation products can be used on any type of laminate.

• KMS Woodworks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formica_(plastic) I did some work in one of my clients rentals last week. The kitchen counters had be refinished by miracle method to look granite like http://www.miraclemethod.com/bathtub-refinishing.htm?gclid=CN_ftqyMgbQCFYw-Mgod3A8AhA They were decent enough looking but you need to keep in mind it is "just a paint Job" I can rework a counter using larger granite tiles for a cost just a bit more than these pro "paint jobs". In those cases you get REAL granite with all of its unique beauty and the durability (heat, strength etc) of real stone. http://www.hometalk.com/search?filter=small+kitchen+makeover&search=&zipcode=#!/530556/small-kitchen-makeover

• Terri J

Thanks guys - I did look it up on the internet first, but they didn't define formica... I understand now, and know that I can do this job by myself, w/ a little supervision from my neighbor and ya'all to turn to if I run into any problems... This is going on the list, but not in the real near future.

• Designs by BSB

formica is like kleenex, household name but really just a brand :)

• Dee @ deeconstructed.com

To add to what others have said laminate counter tops are simply sheets of laminate adhered (ironed/glued on) to sanded plywood meaning you can cut them if need be. I had an overgrown countertop in my kitchen that I loathed. Instead of replacing my tops I added functional backsplash shelves & cut that 'bar'. It made a big impact with very little cost (maybe $50). Here are a few photos..

q what is the difference between formica and laminate counter tops which is better and, countertops, painting, Build up laminate backsplashes w functional shelvingq what is the difference between formica and laminate counter tops which is better and, countertops, painting, Use a circular saw w finish blade to cut down overgrown countertops
  • Hamtil Construction LLC

Might also be worth looking into the price of replacing the tops with an upgraded laminate countertop finish, as compared to the paint. As a lower cost substitute to real granite tops, the Formica 180FX and Wilsonart HD series are great options! Just thinking you might get a longer lasting product for your money!

• Terri J

Once again, thank you all for your imput. This question has been resolved to my satisfaction.