Make Your Poinsettias Bloom Year After Year

Poinsettias will bloom year after year if you care for them properly. The Michigan State University Cooperative Extension Service published a fantastic, simple chart that details how to make a poinsettia reflower. Simply, in March, remove the flower and cut stems to 6 inches. In June, repot the plant in a larger pot. Then plant it (in the pot) outside. In July, pinch off the lateral shoots. In late August, take the plant inside. From September 20th to December 1st, keep your poinsettia in light from 8 AM to 5 PM only. Keep it in darkness from 5 PM to 8 AM. This will cause the poinsettia to flower by Christmas.

To see more: http://www.networx.com/article/six-facts-about-poinsettias

• Alice gambardella

one third of my pointsettia finally turned red . how can i get more red. iwintered it in my home last year.

• Sondra A

Thanks for the good ideas. In California I had a poinsettia growing outside that was more then 8 feet tall. It was beautiful and had just filtered sun. Now that I live in Wisconsin it is a different story.

• Judy H

I had one that was about 3 years old and 4 feet by 4 feet. But it got so big that I finally just had to leave it outside and let the Ohio winter take its course because I just didn't have room in the house anymore for such a giant plant! It sure was pretty, though.